Solo: A Star Wars Story Official Teaser

Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Solo: A Star Wars Story Official Teaser

Post by Nutso »

Well, it's here. The very first trailer for a movie coming out in four months.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story Official Teaser

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

It's... not a bad trailer. My interest in what Disney does with SW is waning greatly... but it's not a bad trailer.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

It'll serve it's purpose for both fans and Disney. I suppose that's about the best anyone can ask for at this point.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Given the track record of the non-saga films (albeit with a sample size of one) I don't see why you're being so pessimistic. Yes, TFA and TLJ were mediocre, but Rogue One was the best SW film since ESB.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Captain Seafort wrote:Given the track record of the non-saga films (albeit with a sample size of one) I don't see why you're being so pessimistic. Yes, TFA and TLJ were mediocre, but Rogue One was the best SW film since ESB.
I loved Rogue One and have watched it at least half a dozen times on Blu-Ray or Netflix. If I came off as pessimistic, forgive me. I simply mean that it'll give the fans what they want and Disney gets to make a wad of money. None of these one-off movies will ever have anywhere close to the cultural impact of the first trilogy. This looks like it has the potential to be a fun action movie set in the Star Wars universe and has the ability to bring some more lore to the Canon universe - which is fantastic and will do exactly what it sets out to do.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

My only issue is I'm having a hard time picturing the guy as Han. He just seems like some random dude.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

stitch626 wrote:My only issue is I'm having a hard time picturing the guy as Han. He just seems like some random dude.
This seems to be a common issue. Unfortunately even Disney can’t go back in time to pluck a 22-year-old Harrison Ford for this movie. Has Ford become inextricably bound with Han Solo in the conception of myriad fans? Sure. Will I be disappointed? Probably. But determining now that “he’s not Han” is simply a self-fulfilling prophecy, a resolution to dislike the movie before bothering to see it.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Didn't we have these discussions when Star Trek (2009) came out. Nobody else could be Captain Kirk other than William Shatner, etc. McCoy was so right it was almost reincarnation. We'll have to see if he can pull it off for Solo.
email, ergo spam
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

IanKennedy wrote:Didn't we have these discussions when Star Trek (2009) came out. Nobody else could be Captain Kirk other than William Shatner, etc. McCoy was so right it was almost reincarnation. We'll have to see if he can pull it off for Solo.
Yeah, I was very dubious about anybody playing those roles. But Pine did a great job with Kirk, Quinto was amazing as Spock, Urban was fantastic as McCoy. Yelchin nailed Chekov, too.

Saldana Uhura didn't feel like the original, but then the original Uhura didn't have much of a character really.

Sad to say, Pegg's Scotty was the worst of the bunch. Scotty was never the comedy sidekick, and he was never nearly as cowardly as Pegg's version.

Like you see, be interesting to see if he can pull Solo off. He doesn't seem very Solo-like to me in the trailers, but then the trailers give very little to go on.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

IanKennedy wrote:Didn't we have these discussions when Star Trek (2009) came out. Nobody else could be Captain Kirk other than William Shatner, etc. McCoy was so right it was almost reincarnation. We'll have to see if he can pull it off for Solo.
I think I remember. I've never felt any role is truly... unique to an actor or actress. To me, any role can and, if necessary, should be recast.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Nutso wrote:Image
Well, that was... meh.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

You need a micrometer to measure the amount of fucks he gives.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

I'm guessing he could transport all the fucks he gives in less than 12 parsecs...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Bryan Moore wrote:I'm guessing he could transport all the fucks he gives in less than 12 parsecs...
Look at Kenobi's face when he said that line in ANH. Solo was bullshitting there.

I genuinely love large swaths of the pre-Disney EU, but trying to explain that line... :bangwall: