Rumours, news and general speculation

Discovery
F.Ultra
Petty officer third class

Re: Rumours, news and general speculation

Post by F.Ultra »

I don't really like how conservative and bureaucratic Starfleet is shown here.

I mean, contemplating to issue a rescue mission for Sarek, really?
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Graham Kennedy wrote:Whups - is Discovery plagiarised?
Wow, we were talking about a lawsuit in the Orville section but this is really cut and dry. I think the Tardigrade game has a standing to sue for sure!
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

So Lorca, good guy or bad guy?
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Nutso wrote:So Lorca, good guy or bad guy?
I'm betting bad guy.

I think I'm correct in thinking that every white human male on this show is a bad guy in one way or another, yes?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

Graham Kennedy wrote:
I'm betting bad guy.

I think I'm correct in thinking that every white human male on this show is a bad guy in one way or another, yes?
I hope you are wrong because it would be racist, something Star Trek is not.

And clearly I hate not seeing the show as soon as monday because of it's consequences:

If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

DarkMoineau wrote:
Graham Kennedy wrote:
I'm betting bad guy.

I hope you are wrong
Well, the Admiral in the opening episode - kind of a dick, expressed racist views of Klingons only to be corrected by our hero, Burnham.

Engineer guy... insubordinate ass, now very possibly actually a mirror universe guy.

Lorca... probably a bad guy.

Mudd... coward / traitor.

The new security guy... probably a Klingon agent.

Did I miss a white male human character of note who isn't in some way a bad guy?
because it would be racist, something Star Trek is not.
I tend to agree. But the modern view of many is that it's not actually possible to be racist against white people, or sexist against men. Yes, honestly. Look it up if you don't believe me.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

Graham Kennedy wrote:
DarkMoineau wrote:
because it would be racist, something Star Trek is not.
I tend to agree. But the modern view of many is that it's not actually possible to be racist against white people, or sexist against men. Yes, honestly. Look it up if you don't believe me.
Which is stupid.

Sexism is discrimination based on sex and racism is discrimination based on skin and origin, nothing else matter and people wonder why I love to hear a woman (Maisie Williams) saying peoples are just peoples or sexist but saying you are feminist as no meaning.... But our days are the days of Idiocracy...
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

mwhittington wrote:I'm not sure what to think of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBb0hyuIfYQ
I posted this earlier in the thread, and now I'm seeing GK and DarkMoineau arguing about this same subject. Spooky!
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

I often feel that we are watching two different shoes here.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

mwhittington wrote:
I posted this earlier in the thread, and now I'm seeing GK and DarkMoineau arguing about this same subject. Spooky!
To clarify, I do think a lot of the stuff in that video was nonsense. And I don't buy into the general "OMG THE SJW'S ARE TAKING OVER!!!!" weeping and wailing that seems to happen every time a woman, gay or non-white person gets an acting role these days. Remember how some people shit their panties over Sulu being gay in Beyond?

But that said, Discovery really doesn't seem to like white men very much. I don't think that's any great biggie as these things go, just something I've noticed. Time will tell whether it has predictive power or not.
F.Ultra

Post by F.Ultra »

DarkMoineau wrote:
Which is stupid.

Sexism is discrimination based on sex and racism is discrimination based on skin and origin, nothing else matter and people wonder why I love to hear a woman (Maisie Williams) saying peoples are just peoples or sexist but saying you are feminist as no meaning.... But our days are the days of Idiocracy...
It's actually quite easy. IF you believe that white males holds all the power and that they use racism and sexism as tools to maintain that power then by definition racism against white males is not racism.

On another topic however I feel that I must correct the ship computer. Green Tea is not a 'good source of amino acids'.
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

F.Ultra wrote:
DarkMoineau wrote:
Which is stupid.

It's actually quite easy. IF you believe that white males holds all the power and that they use racism and sexism as tools to maintain that power then by definition racism against white males is not racism.
Which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, but then again our days are the days of Idiocracy.
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

Graham Kennedy wrote:
mwhittington wrote:
To clarify, I do think a lot of the stuff in that video was nonsense. And I don't buy into the general "OMG THE SJW'S ARE TAKING OVER!!!!" weeping and wailing that seems to happen every time a woman, gay or non-white person gets an acting role these days. Remember how some people shit their panties over Sulu being gay in Beyond?

But that said, Discovery really doesn't seem to like white men very much. I don't think that's any great biggie as these things go, just something I've noticed. Time will tell whether it has predictive power or not.
I watched this again and thought it was a little over the top. At the same time, I do think it is something to keep an eye on.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

mwhittington wrote:I watched this again and thought it was a little over the top. At the same time, I do think it is something to keep an eye on.
There are things it would explain. I know I dislike the show more than most, but I have noticed that even those who like it generally don't like Burnham very much. I wonder if perhaps the writers didn't realise she needed to be likeable... because she's a black woman, and therefore in their minds perhaps sympathetic by default?
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

Graham Kennedy wrote:
mwhittington wrote:I watched this again and thought it was a little over the top. At the same time, I do think it is something to keep an eye on.
There are things it would explain. I know I dislike the show more than most, but I have noticed that even those who like it generally don't like Burnham very much. I wonder if perhaps the writers didn't realise she needed to be likeable... because she's a black woman, and therefore in their minds perhaps sympathetic by default?
It's more they want her to be easily seen as a vulcan raised woman, no matter who watch the show. But hey! There is Tilly if you want someone likeable!