Horrific mass murder at Las Vegas concert

In the real world
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Horrific mass murder at Las Vegas concert

Post by Mikey »

At least 59 killed and hundreds injured as a gunman opens fire from the Mandalay Bay hotel.

Interestingly enough, the gunman was a white guy and coincidentally nobody brought up his religion.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Re: Horrific mass murder at Las Vegas concert

Post by Bryan Moore »

I cringe knowing there are enough people in the southern gun lobby out there thinking "Well, we can't blame terrorists or n***ers, please let this be ANTIFA." The more these things happen, the more my moderate-right leanings wish I hadn't paid for the lifetime membership to the NRA back in my early 20s.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

From what I've read about the guy, every thing we find out about him raises even more questions.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

It seems to not be politically motivated. From what I could gather it's revenge for a slip and fall. I don't see how shooting nearly 600 people equals that but who understands the mind of a psycho.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Bryan Moore wrote:I cringe knowing there are enough people in the southern gun lobby out there thinking "Well, we can't blame terrorists or n***ers, please let this be ANTIFA." The more these things happen, the more my moderate-right leanings wish I hadn't paid for the lifetime membership to the NRA back in my early 20s.
As a Girl Scout, I had to go through an NRA class, and take a written and practical test at the end. That is the extent of my NRA knowledge to date.

There seem to be a number of loop holes in how and where you can purchase a gun without a background check. Either person to person, at a gun show, and something else. More regulations and closing those loopholes will help, however if someone is dead set on getting ANY type of gun, they will find a way.
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

T'Pau wrote:if someone is dead set on getting ANY type of gun, they will find a way.
Indeed. OTOH, getting your hands on something that sounds for all the world like a belt-fed MG should be a different matter. Ditto for several thousand rounds of ammo.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Unfortunately, there are enough questions about the official story (like how the guy got several guns up there with no one noticing) that conspiracy groups are having a heyday.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

From what I heard on the news (CNN, MSNBC, etc.), he acquired the guns over several months from different outlets, as well as the ammo. The guns and ammo ranged in caliber from .223 to .308, and many of the guns he used were bought semi-auto, but he modified them to fire full auto with something CNN called a "bump feed". He also had a substantial amount of ammonium nitrate fertilizer in his car and a substantial amount of tannerite as well. He apparently also sent his wife away to Tokyo so she wouldn't know what he was up to and try to talk him out of it. Also according to the local sheriff's office there, it was 75 minutes from when the first shots were fired to the time they breached his hotel room.

I am a gun owner and I believe in the right to bear arms, but I also think some major loopholes need to be closed up. Why does the average Joe Citizen need several thousand rounds of ammo? Perhaps there should be a limit to the number of rounds of ammo you could buy in a given period of time? Granted, you could just take longer to stockpile, but at least it would be a start. I'm of the mindset that "if you outlaw guns, then only outlaws will have guns", but tragedies such as this kind of make me wish we were back to bow and arrow days, which would be fine with me, I own a vintage 50lb Shakespeare Roots bow.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Kudos to the first responders and other brave bystanders, who helped save lives!
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

T'Pau wrote:Kudos to the first responders and other brave bystanders, who helped save lives!
Seconded. And congrats on the commission!
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Graham Kennedy wrote:
T'Pau wrote:Kudos to the first responders and other brave bystanders, who helped save lives!
Seconded. And congrats on the commission!
Thanks, Graham :D