What I would do with Patrick Stewart

Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

What I would do with Patrick Stewart

Post by Graham Kennedy »

So here's what I would do with Patrick Stewart in his guest role. I have no clue if they are planning anything like this! I doubt it.

Stewart plays the President of the Union. Normally the President has a personal ship that he travels in (his "Air Force One"). However, they have intel that the security has been compromised and a major attack on the ship is planned. But he has somewhere important that he HAS to get to!

So the Orville is tasked with taking him covertly there whilst the main ship travels as a decoy.

During the episode we learn that Mercer is a fan of this guy, because Stewart's background is that he was this legendary Starship Captain in the Union fleet - in other words, make him a Picard expy!

Of course they get attacked, and it turns out that there is a traitor along (Stewart's personal assistant or bodyguard or whatever). Shenanigans happen, they win the day, and make it in time. Maybe even with a little help from Stewart... would it be over the top to have Mercer incapacitated in an attack and Stewart has to help the ship out, even!?!?

Anyway, that's what I would do. Anybody have other suggestions? What might you want to see for Stewart or Bakula?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: What I would do with Patrick Stewart

Post by T'Pau »

Ooo..I like this idea..quick, someone ring up Seth and point him in this direction!
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
Talondor
Master chief petty officer
Master chief petty officer

Post by Talondor »

I like the idea of Stewart being a famous captain who was Mercer's hero growing up, more like a swashbuckling Kirk then Picard. But there was some kind of scandal that stalled his career (either an affair with the wrong person, say a ambassador's daughter...or excessive recklessness or arrogance resulting in some sort of accident), that was never fully made public and remains a mystery to this day (perhaps even classified). He is still in the Union's navy, but got transferred to a administration post, as well as a demotion (either admiral to captain or captain to commander).

Now he is just a bitter old man who is sent to the Orville as some sort of efficiency inspector, who drinks a bit too much and always spouting "back in my day", rubbing everyone the wrong way. But he is always looking for a way to relive the glory days.

There is some sort of incident while he is on the bridge, and he sort of tries to take over, imposing himself when the discussion of what to do takes place. But he comes off as a dominating jerk and the captain has to eventually kick him off the bridge.

He leaves the bridge a broken man, but Mercer catches up with him in his guest quarters after the incident is over, and has a man-to-man talk with him, eventually getting the true story of the scandal that ruined his career.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I like the first part - Sir Patrick as a famous former captain, war hero, or whatever - but I'd like to see it turn out that when the shit hits the fan, he's actually either a) a blubbering coward, or b) a ridiculously incompetent moron. The denouement would be Ed dealing with his disappointment and cynical lesson.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I think that's a great idea. Unfortunately the way that cameos work is it'll probably be a disposable one-off character like the other two big named stars have been so far. No matter what Stewart does, I just hope they fully utilize his amazing acting abilities. I think they will though, Theron was in a role that she commonly plays as was Nelson. My guess is these actors are able to pick their preferred roles.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Those are also great ideas. Stewart seems to like taking the Mickey out of himself, I suspect he'd love the chance to play a Picard expy who turned out to be a moron.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Or a high-maintenance prima dona, a la his great character Walter Blunt.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Mikey wrote:I like the first part - Sir Patrick as a famous former captain, war hero, or whatever - but I'd like to see it turn out that when the shit hits the fan, he's actually either a) a blubbering coward, or b) a ridiculously incompetent moron. The denouement would be Ed dealing with his disappointment and cynical lesson.
I like option B) here. I think Stewart could pull this off to great effect with the proper writing. Let him be a well meaning imbecile who has succeeded in spite of himself.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Speaking of guest stars, I had no idea - the blue guy Kelly slept with in the pilot episode? That was Rob Lowe.
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Graham Kennedy wrote:Speaking of guest stars, I had no idea - the blue guy Kelly slept with in the pilot episode? That was Rob Lowe.
OMG..that's hilarious!
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."