A newbie to B5

T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

A newbie to B5

Post by T'Pau »

I have to thank Graham for pushing to watch B5. I'd never seen it before, and some parts of it were quite enjoyable. Granted, we did watch some of it 'machete style', where he picked the important/best episodes. I was mostly interested in it, when it was pointed out that the same writer from 'Sense8' had created B5.
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: A newbie to B5

Post by Mikey »

I have recently begun watching for the first time as well, and am enjoying it. I've been watching straight through, however, and am only midway into S2 and none of the films save the pilot. Some of the early themes and mechanisms seem a little stale, but good fun for all that.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

B5 had a fairly rocky season 1, but as it went on the arc stuff really began to kick in and IMO, it just got better and better. At least until the last season, which was somewhat weaker due to behind the scenes factors.

I was always curious that Sheldon in Big Bang Theory hates B5 and calls it "failed science fiction", when to my mind it's one of the landmark sci fi series. Nowadays most sci fi series uses ongoing stories. B5 didn't invent that concept, but it certainly did a lot to show that it could work as well as or better than the episodic format common in sci fi up to that point. In that respect it's been hugely influential.

It also was the first sci fi series to go all-CGI for the effects. Whilst one can argue that the results were inferior to good quality model work, it allowed B5 to do things that would otherwise be impossible. And notably, whilst the Trek shows of the time made noise about how CGI was inferior to models, Trek would almost completely give up on model work in favour of CGI within a few years. In fact Voyager poached Foundation imaging, a company that was largely built on the work they did for B5.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

In fact, just across the first two seasons one can see the evolution of the CGI.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I don't mind the CGI. Someone had to take that first step. Look at Transformers: Beast Wars, for example.

But yeah, the show's friggin' awesome.
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Here is a speech about the Earth-Minbari War, by Londo Mollari:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeNBJ5o-b7s
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

I absolutely love Babylon 5, I have every single film/series from the Babylon 5 universe.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Largely agree with the comments above. S1 is fairly weak which I think is due, in no small part, to a fairly unremarkable lead. S2 and S3 really pick the pace up with peaking mid way through S4 I would suggest. The episodic format is not only a foundation for which later sci fi was built but the multiple tangential plot lines coming together at various points during the show is a joy to watch. It makes little things you saw all the way through previous series make sense. In fact, continuity is something B5 does better than almost any other sci-fi I can think of.

You can see a marked improvement in the Special Effects up till a peak point in S3/S4. Given the infancy of the tech I can get round it fairly easy. The only thing I can think of that is an issue is how enormously dated it looks; DS9 and VOY don't look MASSIVELY out of date today but B5 really does unfortunately.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I wish that some fan out there would redo the CGI scenes as a fanedit.

It's definitely a great series that was made on the same budget the original Star Trek was made on $600,000 an episode which adjusted for inflation is dirt cheap.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"