Another US Destroyer collision

In the real world
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Another US Destroyer collision

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Source
Ten sailors are missing and five injured after a US destroyer collided with an oil tanker off the coast of Singapore, the US Navy says.

The USS John McCain was sailing through the Strait of Malacca and preparing to stop in Singapore when it struck the Liberian-flagged vessel. A search and rescue operation is under way.

It is the second serious collision involving a US Navy ship within two months.

The latest collision, which was reported at 06:24 local time on Monday (21:24 GMT on Sunday), happened as the USS John McCain prepared to perform a routine port stop.

Initial reports said that the ship had "sustained damage" to its port side. The US Navy said local authorities were assisting with "search and rescue efforts".
Of course, no matter what you do there are going to be such accidents in any Navy now and again. But two? Just really bad luck? Or is something significantly wrong with the US Navy?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Re: Another US Destroyer collision

Post by Sonic Glitch »

What was the phrase? "There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships these days."
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Sonic Glitch wrote:What was the phrase? "There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships these days."
Yeah, only in these cases perhaps "There seems to be something wrong with our bloody crews" might be more appropriate.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I've never piloted a boat before... but how hard can it be to avoid large objects in decent weather?

To my unknowledgeable self, it seems like crashing your auto in an empty parking lot (aside form the other car) while going 5 mph.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

The USN has ordered a "worldwide operation pause". I assume that this translates as "everybody stand still so you don't drive into anything else".
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Captain Seafort wrote:The USN has ordered a "worldwide operation pause". I assume that this translates as "everybody stand still so you don't drive into anything else".
I hope so. This is friggin' ridiculous!
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

stitch626 wrote:I've never piloted a boat before... but how hard can it be to avoid large objects in decent weather?

To my unknowledgeable self, it seems like crashing your auto in an empty parking lot (aside form the other car) while going 5 mph.
I imagine something like this

Edited to fix link - GK
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

One of the sailors killed worked with me at my previous company. Nice young man - he was only a couole of months older than my girlfriend. My thoughts certainly go out to his family.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Bryan Moore wrote:One of the sailors killed worked with me at my previous company. Nice young man - he was only a couole of months older than my girlfriend. My thoughts certainly go out to his family.
Damn, sorry, Bryan.

I really hope these collisions aren't related in any way. Still...