Survival of the Jedi

Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Survival of the Jedi

Post by Meste17 »

So what is the deal here with the purge and Order 66? Did any Jedi actually survive besides Obi-Wan, Yoda and Kanan, and if so, how many did live to see the end of the Galactic Civil War?
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Re: Survival of the Jedi

Post by Griffin »

In new canon, the Grand Inquisitor used to be a Jedi guardsman. It's possible that other inquisitors were also formerly of the Jedi Order. There still appears to be a purge going on with survivors of 66; Vader has been sent to kill a Jedi in the latest Marvel Comic and the purge generally needs to happen to line up better with Obi-Wans explanation in ANH.

As for how many lived to see the end of the Galactic Civil War, that's currently not covered I believe. So the current count is none.
Bite my shiny metal ass
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few around.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

I know the ultra-fast hyperdrive technology makes it seem not so, but it's a BIG galaxy out there. Logic says there would be a few here and there, but nothing canon.

Although, do we ever get an actual count of the number of Jedi at their peak? I know that's not in canon, but I'd be "legends" broaches that topic somewhere. Let's just say there's 1000 of them, which seems awfully low... even a 99% fatality rate means there's 10 scattered throughout the galaxy. I'd buy that.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

The figure I keep seeing being given is 10'000 Jedi at the start of the clone wars, but I don't know where that figure comes from.
Bite my shiny metal ass
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

This is the official Star Wars Galaxy map as from the Star Wars Essential Atlas.

A lot of unexplored galaxy to lose yourself in, as well as any potential pursuers. So it is entirely plausible that Jedi could escape the purge and vanish into the Unknown.

However Jedi surviving might take away from the mystique of the betrayer Darth Vader hunting down the Jedi into extinction, and the current canon storyline of The Last Jedi, whatever that title means. Luke is the Last Jedi? Rey and Luke are the Last Jedi? Luke is not a Jedi anymore, Rey will be? Luke is the Last of The Jedi, but Rey will be something better than Jedi?

Much larger fan edited map that makes locations pop.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Griffin wrote:The figure I keep seeing being given is 10'000 Jedi at the start of the clone wars, but I don't know where that figure comes from.
10,000 Jedi sounds like something from the Visual Dictionary.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

So again, 1% survival is 100 Jedi scattered in a big galaxy. .1% survival is 10. There's some Midichlorion Masters out there...
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?