In the real world
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Stephen Fry investigated by Irish police for "Blasphemy"

Post by Nutso »

For something he said in 2015.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/201 ... -blasphemy
Police in Ireland are investigating a complaint of blasphemy regarding comments made by Stephen Fry on a television programme shown on Ireland’s state broadcaster, RTÉ.

Gardaí (police) in Dublin have contacted the man who reported the allegation following a broadcast in February 2015, and a full investigation is due to be carried out, the Irish Independent reported.

Under Ireland’s Defamation Act 2009 a person who publishes or utters blasphemous material “shall be guilty of an offence”. A conviction can lead to a fine of up to €25,000.

While being interviewed on The Meaning of Life TV programme, Fry was asked what he would say to God if he had a chance.

“I’d say ‘Bone cancer in children, what’s that about?’ How dare you create a world in which there is such misery that is not our fault,” Fry replied. “It’s not right. It’s utterly, utterly evil. Why should I respect a capricious, mean-minded, stupid god who creates a world which is so full of injustice and pain?”
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: Stephen Fry investigated by Irish police for "Blasphemy"

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

There has got to be something better for them to do. Emptying out trash cans, for one.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Even under the reign of Emperor Trump the Nothingth, the idea of something like this is so alien to the American mindset that the only thing of which I can think to say is this comment on how outre it is.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Mikey wrote:Even under the reign of Emperor Trump the Nothingth, the idea of something like this is so alien to the American mindset that the only thing of which I can think to say is this comment on how outre it is.
Yeah, this. I just cannot fathom an actual charge of blasphemy in Ireland.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Stephen Fry blasphemy probe dropped after gardaí fail to find 'substantial number of outraged people'

Gardaí have decided not to proceed with a blasphemy investigation against Stephen Fry after they failed to find a large group of people outraged by comments he made on an RTÉ show.

Detectives spoke to the man who made the original report this evening and confirmed they will not be carrying out further enquiries.

Independent.ie understands that detectives were unable to proceed with the investigation as there was no injured party.
I'm sure Stephen Fry is relieved.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Some are saying the person who made the report did so in order to generate headlines and highlight the absurdity of the law. There are atheist groups in Ireland who report themselves for blasphemy, exactly to establish precedents that the law is useless and unenforceable.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...