Where have all the Mutants gone?

Everything else
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Where have all the Mutants gone?

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

There are a number of possibilities as to what happened to the mutants in the future of the X-Men universe as depicted in Logan. But that's nothing next to their disappearance for thousands of years and subsequent re-appearance. In Apocalypse, it turns out there were mutants (plural) in the ancient past. Apocalypse himself couldn't have been the only one, as the opening scene depicts at least five others (his 'horsemen' and a fifth, the one with healing powers who became the new host for his consciousness) and he seems to carry the accumulated powers of several other mutants already by then. Then there's no sign of them until the fairly recent past (at least whenever Wolverine and brother Sabertooth were born or earlier). The four horsemen were killed in the opening scene when (new) Apocalypse himself was buried (and old one died) but even if they were the only six around at the time, this mutant phenomenon is obviously a recurring thing (since, well... it recurred). When they came back they came in large numbers too.

Apart from it's merits as a story (and eventually a film) this whole affair just makes the X-Men universe (whether comics or film adaptations) more confusing than it already was.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Where have all the Mutants gone?

Post by Graham Kennedy »

At this point I pretty much just take every X Man movie as a complete reboot of the franchise. Any givne film might have some elements in common with previous ones, but I don't regard any of them to be sequels as such.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Is Logan the first released as a Marvel Studios production, rather than just "in association with?" If so, that would explain some differences as well supposedly planting a franchise anchor in the MCU. In general though, having seen neither this new one nor the Apocalypse one, I can say that in the comics universe Apocalypse - while generally starting with mutant stock - used various artificial methods to transform people into more stabby, kill versions for their role as a Horseman.

Also, recall that in Origins, at a point roughly 45 years before now, there were enough mutants around from which to hand-pick a spec-ops team as well as a personal staff... and a decade or two later, what seemed to be hundreds to imprison and use for the Deadpool project.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I suspect that smaller population means less mutants. Infant mortality might play a factor. Those with powers might have played a part in the mythology we have. Werewolves might have been a Beast-like mutant, Dragons, gods and so forth.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Mikey wrote:Is Logan the first released as a Marvel Studios production, rather than just "in association with?" If so, that would explain some differences as well supposedly planting a franchise anchor in the MCU. In general though, having seen neither this new one nor the Apocalypse one, I can say that in the comics universe Apocalypse - while generally starting with mutant stock - used various artificial methods to transform people into more stabby, kill versions for their role as a Horseman.

Also, recall that in Origins, at a point roughly 45 years before now, there were enough mutants around from which to hand-pick a spec-ops team as well as a personal staff... and a decade or two later, what seemed to be hundreds to imprison and use for the Deadpool project.
Yep, they rapidly became plentiful, just adding to the conundrum. Even taking Apocalypse on it's own isn't too helpful since it has ancient mutants, (plentiful) modern mutants, but still implies there were no known mutants in the many years between.

McAvoy has a good suggestion though. That might be something a clever writer could tackle.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who