Rumours, news and general speculation

Discovery
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Rumours, news and general speculation

Post by Mikey »

Jim wrote:... or view it as pure entertainment and not get hung up on meaningless details.
Obviously, for a fair number of us, the details are part of the entertainment value.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Mikey wrote:
Jim wrote:... or view it as pure entertainment and not get hung up on meaningless details.
Obviously, for a fair number of us, the details are part of the entertainment value.
Bingo.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

In a media conference today, CBS president Les Moonves touched a bit on the scheduling change for the upcoming Trek spin-off series.

We’ve delayed our ‘Star Trek’ [launch] ’til May. For those who think that’s something to be worried about, let me assure you: it’s not.

The producers came into my office last week and begged me – they said, “We are creating an entire universe; you know how fanatical ‘Star Trek’ fans are. We’re creating this universe, we need a couple more months to get the effects right, to get the world right. PLEASE let us have until May.”

With ‘Star Trek,’ which is the family jewels, I’d rather it be a few months late – and great – than than early, and not great. Because we will suffer for it.

So we made the decision to give them the time to make their perfect ‘Star Trek,’ which we are wildly anticipating. In addition, we have the ‘Good Wife’ spin-off, which was going to be ready earlier, so basically we just flipped their position [on] our calendar.
http://trekcore.com/blog/2016/09/star-t ... dule-show/
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Not saying he's wrong, but if it were something to worry about, it's not like they would say so.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Wow..a bit late to the party but I am wondering if there just isn't any creative muscle left in hollywood AT ALL, or why do they have to sift through 30 year old previously REJECTED sketches to come up with a ship design?

This alone doesn't bode very well for the new series!

They should just give the job to Andrew Probert and see what he would come up with imho...... (and while they are at it, they should invest on building a physical model because..oh boy...that CGI teaser looked worse than 80s Star Trek TNG, lol!)
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

The one thing that doesn't bother me is the quality of the CGI.

They've already said that the CGI was just something they threw together in-house in a few days. They made it because the music on it was written for the show, and they wanted a clip to play it over to see how well the music worked.

The CGI on the show is not going to look like that at all. Obviously it will depend on the budget, but the CGI on Enterprise was already more than good enough for me and that was more than a decade ago.

It's more the fact that the ship design is awful that concerns me. And to judge from the last DITL poll, I'm far from alone.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

For me its that ship design. It is really bad.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Me too. It's horrible if anything it looks like it belongs pre RNT to me. Not in between.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Published on Oct 15, 2016

Samuel and I break down the early Discovery design to show you all the direct tie ins to other Starfleet vessels. Some amazing renders done by Samuel with a 3D model made by the very talented Barry Chapman make this a very special episode. Comparison shots to the other Starfleet designs we all know and love, really put this ship into perspective. So....whether you love the design, or hate it, we think there is something for everyone in today's Trekyards.
It's 40 minutes long.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

That is one ugly ship.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Graham Kennedy wrote:That is one ugly ship.
Looks like a Star Trek kitbash fanmade ship for a Starfleet Command mod.

Say about the Ent-D what you will.......but that was a quality ship. Heck...even the NX-1 was better. (The NX-1 wasn't actually bad...it just looked to modern and out of place imho).
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Agreed. The NX is just wrong for the time; they should have done a Daedalus IMO. Or something more like the Conestoga from Terra Nova.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Agreed, but we've been over that ad nauseum. The Phase II/Discovery ship, OTOH, is just an abortive attempt at some piece of tangential Trek history.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Mikey wrote:Agreed, but we've been over that ad nauseum. The Phase II/Discovery ship, OTOH, is just an abortive attempt at some piece of tangential Trek history.
What gets me though, and what is kinda hilarious imho, is that back in the late 70 or so when Ralph Mcquarrie made those scetches....they were being rejected.......and now the use them because there either is not enough creative muscle left to actually come up with a better ship design which looks more like star trek or they just don't really care.

Also....why are we getting AGAIN a prequel series? Are they creatively so bancrupt that they CANNOT come up with a concept of how the future will look AFTER TNG/Voyager?

I am highly sceptical of the whole thing to be honest.