Rumours, news and general speculation

Discovery
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rumours, news and general speculation

Post by Graham Kennedy »

So with a new series upcoming, the first rumours have started to come in.
Three rumors have emerged regarding the CBS All Access Star Trek series launching in January:

1) The series will be set in the Shatnervese, and not the Quintoverse established in the 2009 J.J. Abrams movie.

2) Rather than confine itself to a single era in Starfleet history, each season of the new series will tackle a different era. Each season could go pre-Archer, post-Janeway, or any timeframe in between.

3) The first CBS season will take place between the events of “Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country” and the launch of the Enterprise-D in “Star Trek: The Next Generation.”

This is different from the concept Bryan Fuller was considering before he got job running CBS’ Trek. That idea dealt with the new ship and crew operating concurrently with the Abrams-produced movies in the Quintoverse.

It's entirely possible that Paramount execs, who control the Star Trek movie rights, requested that CBS not utilize the Quintoverse established for the big screen in 2009.

If you’ve not heard, “Star Trek VI” writer-director Nicholas Meyer is helping Fuller write the new Trek series.
So... Shatnerverse rather than Abrams? I approve.

Jumping around in history? I don't approve. You'll get a season to grow to like characters, then they'll all get switched out on you?!

Although I guess it might be interesting to see a Vulcan who was alive before Archer, then the same character still around 300 years later after Picard.

I do think there's some potential there for stuff set after ST VI, though. There's a good 80 years of stuff there that we know very little about. Like, what made the Romulans withdraw from contact with the Federation? How rocky was the road to peace and alliance between the Klingons and the Federation? As but one idea, you could have a big chunk of the Empire hive off and remain militant and aggressive whilst the rest moves more towards peace, perhaps.

I wonder if they'd stick with Excelsior as the main ship of that era, though? Surely they'd be tempted to run some new design out. In fact one thing that bothers me about any prequel is that they'd probably trample over the established look of the era to give us a "cool" ship. See the NX class for an example.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Jim
Captain
Captain

Re: Rumours, news and general speculation

Post by Jim »

I like the idea of it being Shatnerverse and I like the idea of jumping around time wise as it opens a lot more stories and options and such... but that is going to be expensive. You figure most sets and effects have their costs distributed over the life of a series (for the most part). This will require new sets and effects for each season.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Not to mention how many "stock shot of the ship flying past / station slowly rotating" there are in a given episode, all of which would now have to be re-done every time you switched to a new season.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Well, thanks for the new subforum. :)
Jim wrote:I like the idea of it being Shatnerverse and I like the idea of jumping around time wise as it opens a lot more stories and options and such... but that is going to be expensive. You figure most sets and effects have their costs distributed over the life of a series (for the most part). This will require new sets and effects for each season.
My thoughts exactly. A lot of potential for stories... and a lot of cost for those stories.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/04/13/ ... generation

I actually almost posted this last night but, good thing I read it. This is just speculation and rumor-mongering from someone named Devin Faraci. I don't know how accurate this person has been or is.
The New STAR TREK TV Show Will Be Set Before THE NEXT GENERATION

It definitely isn't in the JJ rebootverse.

By Devin Faraci Apr. 13, 2016

I have heard some intriguing rumors about the new Star Trek TV show that will be coming to CBS All Access next year under the stewardship of Bryan Fuller: it won't be set in the JJ Abrams reboot universe. The new show will be set in the original, classic continuity.

But when? Will it be a prequel, like Enterprise? Or will it be the next generation for The Next Generation? Neither, I've heard. The show will be set some time after the events of Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country, so between the original series and The Next Generation.

I love this. For my money the original series movie uniforms are just the best uniforms, and I would love a TV series with that look. I think there's a rich vein of stories to be mined between the years of the swashbuckling OG crew and the more reserved TNG crew. The only bummer is that we won't be able to have cameos from some of the original crew, as most of them are dead (and Captain Kirk will have already disappeared into the Nexus by the time this show is set, no matter when it's set - he fell into the Nexus the same year as the events of The Undiscovered Country!).

I've also heard the show, which will be heavily serialized, will not be set on an Enterprise, although that feels like a no-brainer. One last rumble I heard, which I could not get second sourced at this time, so consider this a wild rumor: while the Khitomer Conference will have paved the way for Klingons and humans to find peace, Fuller has a plan as to how he can still feature villainous Klingons, something we haven't seen in decades!

This show is shaping up to be awesome, and I'll happily plunk down a subscription fee for it.

UPDATE! A trusted source has chimed in and told me that it looks like the show will be a seasonal anthology, which means the first season will be set post-Undiscovered Country. After that the entire Star Trek universe is potentially open. So those of you hoping for a post-Dominion War show... don't give up hope. That could come some day.
Just to reiterate, Devin Faraci is claiming to have been told these things by a trusted source.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Shatnerverse. YES

Time jumping. Hell no.

Don't cover time lines aleady established because then you can't do big shit with out continuity errors.

Go future and go hard.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Like the idea of being set between STVI and TNG. Like being in the Shatnerverse. Dislike the jumping about between eras... I mean, I understand the whys and wherefores - I just think it makes things more difficult for the viewer.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I like the Shatnerverse. Back to the original.

Time jumping might be good if done right. But it does make it limited in what you can do. Character development is limited. Story telling is limited to one season so big arc unless they plan on doing a overall general arc of the same theme. Like the developing relationship of the Klingons into allies and even member/partners in the future. Though this would get confusimg if they jump all over the place.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I'm been mulling this over and I really don't see much upside to the time jumping idea.

Downsides are obvious :

Have to redo all sets, special effects, etc every season.
Audience can get to really like characters/situations, only to have them flushed away at the season end.
Like Enterprise, will inevitably trample existing continuity.

Upsides...

Well I guess if they do a season that turns out unpopular they can quickly leave it behind.
More story options, I guess? Since they can visit the Federation's founding, the Klingon war, the Romulan war, etc.
Can keep the show fresh by reinventing it constantly.

That really doesn't seem like an awful lot of upside to me.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Well, I can't dismiss the idea of unrelated seasons out of hand - it's worked like a friggin' charm for AHS, after all. It certainly lends a flexibility and an "escape valve" of sorts, and certainly would help (though not guarantee) keep things from getting stale. I'm just not sure if it would work as well in what's traditionally been a character-driven drama.
as Bull offed Custer
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

I thought the Shatnerverse was the one Shatner co-wrote...
Bite my shiny metal ass
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Griffin wrote:I thought the Shatnerverse was the one Shatner co-wrote...
EVERY universe is a Shatnerverse... he just allows us to see them.
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Mikey wrote:Well, I can't dismiss the idea of unrelated seasons out of hand - it's worked like a friggin' charm for AHS, after all. It certainly lends a flexibility and an "escape valve" of sorts, and certainly would help (though not guarantee) keep things from getting stale. I'm just not sure if it would work as well in what's traditionally been a character-driven drama.
I just thought about that today. American Horror Story does a damn good job with the different season different story theme.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Graham Kennedy wrote: Downsides are obvious :

Have to redo all sets, special effects, etc every season.
Audience can get to really like characters/situations, only to have them flushed away at the season end.
This might not apply if the viewpoint is a timeship.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

True. I really doubt they are going there, though.