USS Reliant

The Next Generation

What class do you see a TNG USS Reliant becoming? To be a counterpart to the USS Enterprise-E?

Akira class
78%
Borodin class
11%
Luna class
No votes
Nebula class
11%
Norway class
No votes

Total votes: 9
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

USS Reliant

Post by Meste17 »

What class do you see a TNG USS Reliant becoming? To be a counterpart to the USS Enterprise-E?
The Borodin class is mentioned here: http://www.sttff.net/borodin.html
But with a rollbar is what I am imagining right now.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: USS Reliant

Post by Mikey »

Where did the idea of this alleged "Reliant-A" come from? I for one have never heard of such a ship.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

He asking what a Reliant would be in the 24th century would be. The name itself I think.

The ship can be anything anyone wants it to be. Luna though is unlikely since from what I heard that class uses moon names.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

McAvoy wrote:He asking what a Reliant would be in the 24th century would be. The name itself I think.

The ship can be anything anyone wants it to be. Luna though is unlikely since from what I heard that class uses moon names.
Exactly
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Oh. You mean, what would be the TNG-era Miranda-class? I guess architecturally it would have to be the Nebula-class, although that's much more powerful relative to the GCS than the Miranda is relative to the Connie.
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I'd have called the Akira a Miranda equivalent. Saucer with nacelles under, and a rollbar with a torpedo pod on it.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I could see that, I said the Neb because it is a reassembly and compaction of GCS parts in the same manner as the Miranda is of the Connie.
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Mikey wrote:I could see that, I said the Neb because it is a reassembly and compaction of GCS parts in the same manner as the Miranda is of the Connie.
That is what I think as well. Sovereign is different as we haven't seen a true cannon version of a Miranda type.

As far the name, the name could be used anywhere really. Look at the famous names like Lexington doesn't follow the example of Enterprise. Enterprise is a special name in Starfleet.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

Mikey wrote:I could see that, I said the Neb because it is a reassembly and compaction of GCS parts in the same manner as the Miranda is of the Connie.
Well I saw it as that yes. However, I saw many classes for the following reasons:

Akira because as Graham said it seemed to be somewhat of a TNG looking Miranda, with the rollbar on top and nacelles on bottom AND it DOES fire photon torpedoes.

Nebula because like Mikey said it IS a reassembly and compaction of GCS parts in the same manner as the Miranda is of the Connie.

Norway because it basically IS the TNG version of a TOS Miranda, with the same type of weapons and specifications, the only difference between standard photon tubes instead of 2nd class, and the Miranda is slightly more manoeuvrable than a Norway. Likewise the Norway is slightly larger.

However, McAvoy, actually in a sense we have, but only in the novels. The Luna class, such as the USS Titan, Will Riker's ship, seems to be the TNG Miranda equivalent of a Sovereign. We just haven't seen in on screen.

So with all that in mind, you have seen (hopefully) my reasoning for this here.
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

Mikey wrote:Oh. You mean, what would be the TNG-era Miranda-class? I guess architecturally it would have to be the Nebula-class, although that's much more powerful relative to the GCS than the Miranda is relative to the Connie.
Exactly yes.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Luna class from what I understand is a separate class from the others. I don't see the Luna being the Miranda equivalent to the Sovereign.

Likewise the Norway doesn't seem to be a counterpart to any class either. In my mind I always viewed the Steamrunner and the Norway and Sabre to be 'foreign' designs. As in they were designed and built outside of Earth's influence. It makes sense for other members of the Federation to make their own ships in support of the Federation and Starfleet.
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

Well then the Akira seems to be the best possible candidate. By far.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

:bangwall:
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

So here's a question regarding the Reliant...

Do you think it's reasonable to assume that there was a TOS version of the Miranda class running around? I've always assumed that there would be. The novelverse has them, and plenty of Trek fans have made artwork of them over the years (yours truly included).

What do you guys think?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

Graham Kennedy wrote:So here's a question regarding the Reliant...

Do you think it's reasonable to assume that there was a TOS version of the Miranda class running around? I've always assumed that there would be. The novelverse has them, and plenty of Trek fans have made artwork of them over the years (yours truly included).

What do you guys think?
I would agree. The Miranda is basically as you said, a smaller counterpart to the Constitution, and if the Enterprise had been around since the 2240s, as novels like Final Frontier and TAS episode The Counter Clock Incident have suggested, then Miranda class ships in TOS HAVE to be around as well, as I refuse to believe that, with the fact that the Federation had been around for a century in TOS, that its fleet would not be quite large, as to quote Captain Kirk in Tomorrow is Yesterday, "there are only 12 ships like the Enterprise in the fleet." The Federation's 4,000 lightyears at the most is an awful lot of space for only 12 Constitution class ships to cover in such a short time.