Earth's Well Known Stars

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Talondor
Master chief petty officer

Earth's Well Known Stars

Post by Talondor »

Does anyone know if any of the Star Treks ever mentioned Earth's well known stars, like the North Star or those of Orion's Belt? Anything in those systems (according to the ST universe)?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Earth's Well Known Stars

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Many.

Acamar, Aldebaran, Altair, Antares, Betelgeuse, Canopus, Capella, Cor Caroli, Deneb, Izar, Mintaka, Mizar, Orion. Pollux, Procyon, Regulus, Rigel, Sheliak, Sirius, Spica, Vega, Wolf 359... and probably many more. Trek uses real star names all the time.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Talondor

Post by Talondor »

I realize that many of the stars and systems around them in Star Trek are based on the ones known to Earth. But I was asking about specific, well known stars. To give a example, in a TNG episode, Worf went to a Klingon monastery on a planet in a star system that Kayless said he was going to in ancient times. I am assuming that when Klingons first got space travel, they traveled to this star that was important in their folklore, found a planet orbiting the sun, and built a monastery there.

So I was wondering are there any specific, prominent stars in Earth's folklore, like Polaris or the three in Orion's Belt (which play a prominent role in those that believe in ancient aliens) that have ever been mentioned or explored in the Star Trek Universe.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Graham answered this question above, and you completely ignored it. He gave you a list of "specific, well known stars," as you put it, that were mentioned in 'Trek; so why in hell would you repeat the question? Are you asking if one specific star was ever mentioned in 'Trek? If so, for which one are you looking?

Never mind, you're a frigging troll moron. Graham said "Mintaka" quite clearly in his repsonse... then you go on to ask, "What about the stars in Orion's Belt?" If you don't even know the stars that are in Orion's Belt, don't fucking ask about Orion's fucking Belt.

Quit being a troll. Last I'm saying on this.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Talondor

Post by Talondor »

All I asked was that if the most well known stars in Earth's skies were ever explored in the Star Trek Universe, and if so what was there. How is that being a troll? Is that not one of the purposes of this board, for casual, novice fans like myself to ask such questions?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

sking is wonderful. It's perhaps the best way of finding things out. Asking, then being answered explicitly and in specific detail, then asking again as if you were never answered, then asking specifically about a subtopic that was addressed minutely in the answer you previously ignored - that is incorrigibly rude not to mention baffling. If you, for example, wanted to know if any of the stars in Orion's Belt were ever mentioned in 'Trek, then why for the love of Baphomet would you ignore the information that was given to you speaking precisely to that question - and, in the process, be rude to your host?
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Talondor wrote:All I asked was that if the most well known stars in Earth's skies were ever explored in the Star Trek Universe
The thing is, that's just what I gave you. All of those stars I listed ARE well known stars in Earth's skies that were explored in Star Trek. One of them is even, as Mikey pointed out, a star in Orion's belt.
and if so what was there.
If this is the stumbling point, then why not respond with something like "Oh, thanks, that's quite a few! I don't recognise most of them from Trek though, what's in those systems?"

Instead, you just basically asked for the same list I just gave you over again exactly as if I hadn't given you the answer. It came across as a bit weird.

Anyway...

Acamar - location of the planet Acamar III in TNG The Vengeance Factor

Aldebaran - location of a Federation planet, mentioned in TOS The Deadly Years

Altair - Mentioned many times. Location of at least three habitable planets. Altair III is the planet Riker refused to let Captain De Soto beam down to, an incident mentioned several times in TNG. Altair IV was mentioned in DS9's Propet Motive as a populated planet. Altair VI was the place the Enterprise going to to attend the inaguration of the new President in Amok Time. It was also the planet the Kobayashi maru had recently left in Star Trek II.

Antares - Khan mentioned chasing Kirk "around the Antares Malestrom" in Star Trek II.

Betelgeuse - The home of the Betelgeusians, seen in The Motion Picture.

Canopus - Mentioned as the home of the planet where "Nightingale Woman" was written in TOS "Where No Man Has Gone Before"

Capella - Home of the Capellans, seen in Friday's Child.

Cor Caroli - Cor Caroli V was mentioned as a planet usffering from a plague by Picard in TNG's "Allegiance"

Deneb - The location of Farpoint Station in the TNG pilot episode, Encounter at Farpoint.

Izar - In TOS, Captain Garth was known as "Garth of Izar".

Mintaka - home of the Proto-Vulcanoids seen in "Who Watches The Watchers?"

Mizar - Site of Mizar II, home world of the Mizarians from TNG's "Allegiance"

Orion - the source of the Orion Syndicate, mentioned several times in DS9.

Pollux - Pollux IV was the planet where Kirk met Apolloin "Who Mourns for Adonais?"

Procyon - The Battle of Procyon V was the future battle against the Sphere Builders seen in Ent : Azati Prime.

Regulus - Regulus III was the location of a famous science academy; possibly also the home world of the Regulan people and the Regulan Blood Worm. Regulus Vwas the home planet of the giant eel birds. It is also a possible home world of the Regulan people and the Regulan Blood Worm.

Rigel - One of the most commonly mentioned stars, and apparently one of the most heavily populated. We've heard of Rigel II - McCoy said he met some girls there in "Shore Leave"; Rigel IV was the site of a Pergium ore processing facility mentioned in "Wolf in the Fold"; Rigel V was where a drug to increase blood product was tested, mentioned in "Journey to Babel"; Rigel VII was the planet where Pike lost several Enterprise crew members in "The Cage"; Rigel X was the scuzzy alien port visited by the NX-01 in "Broken Bow"; Rigel XII was the desolate but habitable site of a Lithium crystal mining operation in "Mudd's Women".

Sheliak - Presumably, the home of the Sheliak race seen in "The Ensigns of Command".

Sirius - Sirius was mentioned by Sulu as a navigational reference in TOS "Arena".

Spica - Cyrano Jones sold Spican flame gems in TOS "The Trouble With Tribbles".

Vega - Vega Colony was the destination of the Enterprise when it received the distress call in "The Cage".

Wolf 359 - Site of the Starfleet battle against the first Borg invasion. 39 Starfleet ships were destroyed there.

Okay now?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

So.... did you really type that out for him?
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Yes I did. A few bits of it are somewhat modified cut-and-pastes from the DITL planets list; most is typed.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Damn...

I may have a decent knowledge of Trek but I would never take the time to write that all out.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Talondor

Post by Talondor »

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Thanks for the information.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Most welcome.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Presumably, the famed "Ceti Alpha" system is in the constellation Cetus, as is the real-life Tau Ceti... also, I'm sure I've heard mention of a species known as a "Centaurian" something-or-other which would indicate derivation from either Proxima Centauri or Alpha Centauri.
as Bull offed Custer
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

The most obvious one for Alpha Centauri is "Zefram Cochrane" who was referred to as "Zefram Cochrane of Alpha Centauri" when we first met him in TOS episode Metamorphosis.
email, ergo spam
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

IanKennedy wrote:The most obvious one for Alpha Centauri is "Zefram Cochrane" who was referred to as "Zefram Cochrane of Alpha Centauri" when we first met him in TOS episode Metamorphosis.
*snaps fingers* Yes, that's the reference of which I was thinking.
as Bull offed Custer