Largest owned/personal ship

The Next Generation
Jim
Captain
Captain

Largest owned/personal ship

Post by Jim »

I know that there were a number of personal ships specifically owned by one person... but were any of them of a larger size or decently armed? The largest that I can think of would probably be Neelix's ship, but that was not armed and wasn't really that big.

Did anyone ever just somehow end up with their own Miranda or something of that nature?

The question came to mind as I was thinking about old SW books that I had read and I remembered that Terrik had his own Star Destroyer. It made me wonder if anything like that had ever happened in Trek.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Largest owned/personal ship

Post by McAvoy »

No one had a Federation ship.

But we did see commercial ships and even personal ships the were somewhat large.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Mudd had a Federation ship :

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Okona had a private ship, so did Kassidy Yates.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Graham Kennedy wrote:Mudd had a Federation ship :

Was it called a Starfleet or Federation ship? Do we have a better picture than that? Just saying that could explained as having a resemblance to a Fed ship.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

It wasn't a Starfleet ship, no. Why would it be, Mudd wasn't in Starfleet.

Given that Kirk charges Mudd with "galaxy travel without a flight plan, without an identification beam, and failure to answer a starship's signal, thus effecting a menace to navigation", then the ship was clearly under Federation jurisdiction. They didn't specifically say "This is a Federation ship", but there's really no reason to doubt it. Especially as the design is clearly Federation-influenced.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Graham Kennedy wrote:Given that Kirk charges Mudd with "galaxy travel without a flight plan, without an identification beam, and failure to answer a starship's signal, thus effecting a menace to navigation", then the ship was clearly under Federation jurisdiction.
That says nothing about the origin of the ship (or Mudd himself for that matter). If the French skipper of a French built, registered and flagged ship, with an entirely French crew, was acting like a lunatic under the bows of a US carrier, I suspect the CO of said carrier would have something to say about that behaviour. It wouldn't suddenly make the offending vessel US.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Exactly.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Graham Kennedy wrote:Given that Kirk charges Mudd with "galaxy travel without a flight plan, without an identification beam, and failure to answer a starship's signal, thus effecting a menace to navigation", then the ship was clearly under Federation jurisdiction.
That says nothing about the origin of the ship (or Mudd himself for that matter). If the French skipper of a French built, registered and flagged ship, with an entirely French crew, was acting like a lunatic under the bows of a US carrier, I suspect the CO of said carrier would have something to say about that behaviour. It wouldn't suddenly make the offending vessel US.
Depends. Exactly what jurisdiction you're under on the ocean is a complicated business, and the rules that apply there only do because there are international conventions to say that they do. And in general, if you're in international waters, the laws of your home state apply. If your carrier CO sees me and Ian breaking US laws in a boat in international waters, it doesn't matter what he has to say about it because he doesn't have any jurisdiction.

So whilst certainly not solid proof, it certainly does indicate that it was a Federation ship.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Graham Kennedy wrote:If your carrier CO sees me and Ian breaking US laws in a boat in international waters, it doesn't matter what he has to say about it because he doesn't have any jurisdiction.
If, on the other hand, you are breaching internationally recognised regulations and thus being a menace to navigation, I would expect him (or any other nation's warship in a similar position) to have jurisdiction. McAvoy may be able to expand further on the details.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Certainly even private vessels would be constrained to follow UFP regulations within UFP space; I'm sure the initial question was one more of provenance of the actual ships than of overseeing governance. We've seen ships that seem to be privately-commissionned vessels - Mudd's ship, the Hansens' SS Raven, etc. - but is starship construction a small enough enterprise to be conducted outside of the auspices of the UFP government, a/o is there private enterprise large enough to do so?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Graham Kennedy wrote:If your carrier CO sees me and Ian breaking US laws in a boat in international waters, it doesn't matter what he has to say about it because he doesn't have any jurisdiction.
If, on the other hand, you are breaching internationally recognised regulations and thus being a menace to navigation, I would expect him (or any other nation's warship in a similar position) to have jurisdiction. McAvoy may be able to expand further on the details.
But is there even any such thing as internationally recognised regulations in the context that Kirk and the Enterprise operate in? We have them because our world is an explored place, there's nowhere you can go that isn't covered by some jurisdiction or other. Not so for the Federation.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Raven was a decent size.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Graham Kennedy wrote:But is there even any such thing as internationally recognised regulations in the context that Kirk and the Enterprise operate in?
Yes - the interstellar law Chang quoted when he arrested Kirk and McCoy in TUC.
Teaos wrote:Raven was a decent size.
Raven was an overgrown runabout, nothing more.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Graham Kennedy wrote:But is there even any such thing as internationally recognised regulations in the context that Kirk and the Enterprise operate in?
Yes - the interstellar law Chang quoted when he arrested Kirk and McCoy in TUC.
Oh? Who does that apply to? What does it cover? In what areas? At what times? We don't know.