Well, if you needed proof of a religion...

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Well, if you needed proof of a religion...

Post by Mikey »

...then it will have to be Pastafarianism.

I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Well, if you needed proof of a religion...

Post by LaughingCheese »

lol
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Praise the lord and pass the Prego!
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

R'Amen.

Side note, a friend said something about this fake religion not being good for those who disbelieve in religion. That mocking religion isn't the best way to go. Especially since many feel religion is as natural as going to bed and eating and so forth.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

McAvoy wrote:R'Amen.

Side note, a friend said something about this fake religion not being good for those who disbelieve in religion. That mocking religion isn't the best way to go. Especially since many feel religion is as natural as going to bed and eating and so forth.
I think folks who truly have no religious faith simply make their lack of beliefs known when the subject comes up, and maybe shake their heads in logical dismay at those of us who do believe. In my experience those who feel the need to mock something are usually those who are afraid of exposing their own core of participation in that saomething.
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Well in my experience those who mock religion usually do it in response to something. Usually something we would think is common sense or just head scratching. For example, those who post in comments about Evolution is a fairy tale for grown ups or there is no way Earth is billions of years old.

That sort of thing. Of course you got the more militant atheists or antitheists.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

McAvoy wrote:Well in my experience those who mock religion usually do it in response to something. Usually something we would think is common sense or just head scratching. For example, those who post in comments about Evolution is a fairy tale for grown ups or there is no way Earth is billions of years old.

That sort of thing. Of course you got the more militant atheists or antitheists.
Just as you get more militant theists. The anti abortion thugs who go around killing doctors and nurses, for example.

As for FSM it was invented in response to a threat to start teaching religious creation myths in science lessons in a certain school district. The argument for teaching the 'intelligent design' theory (creation by god) was that students should be taught all possible theories so they could make their mind up themselves. FSM said fine, that's a great idea, please can you teach that god is a flying spaghetti monster who created the world with his noodly appendage and that pirates are the solution to global warming etc. It wasn't an attack on theists, at least at the start. It was merely another theory that, if we are teaching all theories no matter what their scientific merit, should be taught in schools.
email, ergo spam
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

:picard:
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Yeah, that's the odd thing about the "teach all sides" idea. As soon as you say "Okay, we're going to teach the Islamic beliefs in science class then", everyone goes apeshit. "So you don't want all sides taught, then?"

It's like the case a while back where a school had a "backpack mail" system they used to have kids take home flyers to their parents. One day some students tried to send fliers to promote their church’s vacation bible school, which the church refused. No less than Jerry Falwell got involved, and the school board agreed to let religious groups distribute materials through the system.

So then some local Pagans who attend a Unitarian-Universalist congregation decided to send a flier advertising an event celebrating the December holidays. And suddenly, the people who had been arguing that it's perfectly fine for the school to send religious materials home did a complete 180 and started arguing that this was a terrible, terrible thing. :bangwall:

Stuff like the FSM is intended to point this out - you can't just invite christianity into the public square, christians, you have to invite ALL religions... including the ones you think are patently ridiculous. Because your religion looks just as ridiculous to me as the FSM looks to you.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Indeed, the vast majority of people who say "teach all sides" actually mean "teach my side more than you are right now." I have long said that even as a man who holds a religious belief, mine or anybody else's has no place in schooling. If you teach me how, for example, animal life evolved into what we have on Earth today, how does that decry my belief in a G-d who was the prime mover behind the process?

EDIT: BTW I love a good debate as much as the next guy, but I was in fact just trying to find a pithy title for putting up the video of that far-out animal.
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

FSM is used in those cases where people believe that their religion is true science because nothing in their holy book can be wrong.

I got deep into the Creationist vs. Science debate when four or five people on my Facebook wall posted that Josh Feinstein video (the guy got everything wrong) and these guys who posted him actually thought he was right.

Basically FSM is useful any debate with someone who takes their religion too seriously and actually thinks their religion is the be all, end all over everything in life.

Personally I also like to use Bob, the God Eater. Basically he exists by eating God. I totally ripped that off of someone awhile back.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

as Bull offed Custer
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

The original one was the Invisible Pink Unicorn. You've got to love the fact that it's pink and invisible all at the same time.
email, ergo spam
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

IanKennedy wrote:The original one was the Invisible Pink Unicorn. You've got to love the fact that it's pink and invisible all at the same time.
Which of course invites one of the more obvious questions, "Wait, how do you know it's pink if it's invisible?"

My thing? Keep religion out of schools. Cut and dry.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

As the old saying goes, your religion is like a cock. It's fine to have one, it's fine to be proud of it, it's fine to share it with others who want to. Just don't get it out in public, don't shove it down people's throat when they're not interested, and for Pete's sake, don't get it out in schools!
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...