SFDebris: Torment of Tantalus

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

SFDebris: Torment of Tantalus

Post by Captain Seafort »

Blip

Good one, although I think Chuck plays down the episode's importance a bit, given that it was the first mention of the Alliance.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: SFDebris: Torment of Tantalus

Post by Teaos »

Meh, I think you could miss it and not even notice, unlike other important episodes.

But I did like this episode. Good set for such an early episode.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I liked it. It's a small piece that can be skipped but does give a nice view overall of the Ancients.

Though the history of the Ancients is messed up.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

They obviously changed it a lot from season 1 to season 7.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Teaos wrote:They obviously changed it a lot from season 1 to season 7.
More than that. Ancients are millions of years old. They originally came from the Ori Galaxyto the Milky Way then to the Pegasus Galaxy then back to rthe Milky Way Galaxy. The Stargates is as old as Destiny which means the Destiny originated slightly after they came to tthe Milky Way Galaxy. That us because we saw sketches of the Stargate in Ark of Truth.

The Four Races is actually hundreds of years old which means the last of the Ancients died off some time in Renaissance

They left the Milky Way originally for Pegasus a million years ago because of some plague. Then came back ten thousand years ago.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Messy time line.

McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Teaos wrote:Messy time line.
Yeah. I also couldn't make it any clearer because iI was eating and drinking beer at the time.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I does work... kinda. Its not nearly as screwed as some others.

RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Does the timeline make more sense if you've only seen SG:1? Because I've never seen any of Atlantis/Universe and it mostly made sense to me.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Forgive me DITL for I have sinned. I have a confession: I never got into Stargate the way I got into Star Trek or Star Wars. I like watching Stargate, and if the idiots at SiFi put it back as reruns I would watch SG-1 and I understood what was going on as far as story arcs. But I never followed the other series, just occasionally watched Atlantis but not enough to know what was going on, and I gave the Stargate BSG (Stargate: Eternity?) lookalike show a shot. Did not like it enough to continue following.

If you asked me to name my favorite episode of any Stargate, I wouldn't have an answer for you.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Does the timeline make more sense if you've only seen SG:1? Because I've never seen any of Atlantis/Universe and it mostly made sense to me.
Atlantis mainly deals with the million years they spent in Pegasus. Universe doesn't cloud it too much but they do give a 50 million year figure.

The biggest problem is the giant lengths. Million years is a long time.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Universe was almost an independent spinoff.