Post by Nutso »

"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Funny pics

Post by Atekimogus »

Game of Thrones...might contain spoilers.

He's not wrong though....:)
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I've never read a page/watched a second of that series and I feel I have missed nothing! :D
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I've never read a page/watched a second of that series and I feel I have missed nothing! :D
My thoughts on ASOIAF.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Are you saying the the story should pick up the pace, or that GRRM should get the books out quicker? Both would have merit.
Stan - South Park
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

No. It's not in Japan.

Spider-Man Statue Removed From South Korean Playground Because It Has A Gigantic Boner
After erecting a statue of Spider-Man in a South Korean shopping center, artist Eunsuk Yoo met stiff resistance from the people who run it. It seems they took a long, hard look at the spectacular piece after suspicions were aroused about its suitability. The statue has now been yanked off, despite being impressively hung on that wall for almost a year. Yoo may feel he got the shaft, but one hopes he understands the thrust of the mall’s decision.
Stan - South Park
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Yeah there is no real direction in the show aside from there is no character shield for anyone. There is hunts but that is still far into the future.

The point of the books is everything has consequences and no one is safe from it.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Stan - South Park
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I've never read a page/watched a second of that series and I feel I have missed nothing! :D
My thoughts on ASOIAF.
Never watched the show, and have only read one of the short stories in the ASOIAF milieu; having issued that caveat, one really should read GRRM to some extent because he's that good, and the Haviland Tuf stories may be the best place to start rather than ASOIAF.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Nutso wrote:Are you saying the the story should pick up the pace, or that GRRM should get the books out quicker? Both would have merit.
It'd be interesting if a story were to emerge at some point, but by and large my impression of series (the last three books in particular) is that lots of stuff happens, but very little progress is made.
Mikey wrote:having issued that caveat, one really should read GRRM to some extent because he's that good
No, he isn't. His writing is pretty good, but huge swathes of the books seem to have originated with the thought "wouldn't it be cool if..." rather than with any specific objective in mind. Even if he eventually gets to so sort of point, he's taken so long to do so everyone will have forgotten where they started from.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

That's because you know nothing! (Nice one! Think everyone here missed it :D )

That being said, I love GoT...cannot really understand the complains about not going on and lack of story.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:His writing is... good
Generally considered one of the hallmarks of a good writer, AFAIK.
Captain Seafort wrote: huge swathes of the books seem to have originated with the thought "wouldn't it be cool if..."
That's not really an indictment. A) That's not always a bad thing for someone who both wrote for television and created the first fantasy realpolitik stores, and B) it is absolutely untrue. Saying that it is is only an indication that you haven't read the Haviland Tuf stories or the Wild Card stories, or the very pointed and thematic -and darkly sarcastic - stories like "Sandkings."
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

Bite my shiny metal ass
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Mikey wrote:Generally considered one of the hallmarks of a good writer, AFAIK.
One of the hallmarks. Another is having a plot, rather than just things that happen. ASOIAF is the latter.
A) That's not always a bad thing for someone who both wrote for television
That might be the problem - he's thinking of it as a TV series rather than a novel.
created the first fantasy realpolitik stores
Hardly. At the very least The Winter King was published a year before AGoT. In any event 's a difference between "wouldn't it be cool if..." in the sense of coming up with interesting concepts and in the sense of stuff happening for the sake of having stuff happen.
there
Saying that it is is only an indication that you haven't read the Haviland Tuf stories or the Wild Card stories, or the very pointed and thematic -and darkly sarcastic - stories like "Sandkings."
I haven't. So what? It may be that he's demonstrated better grip in some of his other stories, but not in ASOIAF.