Making the Romulan War not like the Dominion War

Enterprise
Black Jesus
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Making the Romulan War not like the Dominion War

Post by Black Jesus »

Smaller territories could also mean a concentration of forces.

One of the episodes either "Babel One" or "United" give a number of around 130 ships for Archer's fleet.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Smaller territories also means less resources and manpower. This is also during a time when every race was out for themselves so resources were not concentrated or focused as if when they all come together under a single banner like will.

Which brings up a good point, how did a single race empire like the Klingons and Romulans from the start compete with the Federation?

No evidence of Klingons or Romulans having giant families. I wonder if the Federation is severely limiting itself.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

We can conjecture - and admittedly, that's all it is - that so-called "single race" empires such as those mentioned did, in fact, conquer and subjugate new races as quickly as the UFP made allies a/o members of new races. In fact, there is direct evidence - the Remans we saw in Nemesis, who were explicitly described as a subjugated race/servile caste, surely didn't spring into being fully-formed and enslaved instantly at some point between FC and NEM. The fact that we didn't see those races previously merely points to the fact of their subjugated status, not necessarily of their non-existence.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Perhaps and probably most likely.

I am inclined it is a combination of all of the above. Smaller territory than the Federation, whole slave races, and using more resources proportionally than the Federation.

Which is what I think is what makes the Federation so special. Is that if it truly wanted to, it could have a fleet a hundred times bigger than what it has now if it even remotely rapped into its resources.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"