Non Canon Ships and events

Discuss the site here - suggestions, comments, complaints, etc.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Re: Non Canon Ships and events

Post by Jim »

It also depends on how much traffic you want on the site. If you are good with a dozen or so regulars and just the occasional person checking it out then not having many updates is fine. If you want more traffic, more interaction, more popularity, etc... then you keep the information fresh and you add new info often.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I second Sonic; it is indeed your site. Go nuts.

If you stick with the things that are consistent with one another, that would be easier to categorize. File the detritus under temporal.

Maybe pick a color for temporal info?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

3D letting for temporal :)
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Would it be possible to add things/events to the existing databanks (say Timeline or Fed Ships) and use a different button color for non-canon ships? That way rather than maybe going to a special Non-Canon section and finding it there one could simply click Fed Ships --> Vesta Classbwith the Vesta Class button being a different color (or colour).
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

I like the idea, I like to find out as much information as I can, especially as I occasionally use the stuff on this site to convert Star Trek ships to my own Universe.

Also, I concur with the colour-blindness preferential for Cyan. Red/green/orange is not good for me.

Either way, keep up the good work, I really like this site, and appreciate both your efforts Mr Graham's :-)
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Sonic Glitch wrote:Would it be possible to add things/events to the existing databanks (say Timeline or Fed Ships) and use a different button color for non-canon ships? That way rather than maybe going to a special Non-Canon section and finding it there one could simply click Fed Ships --> Vesta Classbwith the Vesta Class button being a different color (or colour).
Hmm, would have to think about that. It should certainly be possible to implement having different coloured buttons on a list, but we'd have to think about how it tied into the colour scheme of the site.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Nothing is impossible, however, I wonder what would decide the colour of the button. For example we already have ship classes where the class name is not cannon. This includes the obvious ones from the FJ TM, but also ones where the class name isn't known, like the Centaur class for example. We know that this class exists but we don't know that this is the class ship. Should the button be coloured based upon the class name "canonistity" or on something else?
email, ergo spam
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

IanKennedy wrote:Nothing is impossible, however, I wonder what would decide the colour of the button. For example we already have ship classes where the class name is not cannon. This includes the obvious ones from the FJ TM, but also ones where the class name isn't known, like the Centaur class for example. We know that this class exists but we don't know that this is the class ship. Should the button be coloured based upon the class name "canonistity" or on something else?
Technically the button should be based on whatever you feel like ;) Maybe differentiate between "Seen/Referenced on-Screen" and "Seen/Referenced in novels?" That way you can keep the current buttons their current colo(u)rs (since I recall it being mentioned that a bunch of the FJ ships how up on background screens in STI/II) and use a different colo(u)r for the ones that appear purely in the novels/EU.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

I really like the idea. Adding more ships is always a good idea as long as you show what is cannon or not.

And for Federation, Saladin etc... Aren't they already cannon as they appear on Enterprise's screens in the old movies?
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Okay after thinking over the issue we've gone ahead and modified the site to more clearly accept novels as sources.

We went with a new colour for novels, picking cyan. We've also slightly tweaked the green colour so that it contrasts with the cyan a bit more clearly. You can see the colour at work in the Federation and Soyuz Class pages for an example.

New info should start appearing in the coming weeks as time and enthusiasm allow.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Nicely done with the colouring. A couple of nitpicks about the Federation class article though:

1) A couple of facts you've marked as "novel" (top speed and the existence of the Star Empire) turned up in the tech manual - shouldn't they be marked as such, even if they were repeated in the novel?

2) With the proviso that I haven't read it, my understanding was that the description of the dreadnought in the eponymous novel was significantly different to the ship in the SFTM (I've head something about a hexagonal hull).
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Okay, that looks... pretty nice. A sincere good luck on this. :)

Will this info be primarily from the relatively recent relaunch novels?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I also have a nit on the Federation class, namely that the shield strength is described as being 30% stronger than the Constitution, yet are listed at about 50% weaker.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Thanks, will look into that shield thing.

The initial idea is to start incorporating material from the Destiny trilogy and the Titan series. See what happens after that.
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Ian and I have been mulling over including entries on a few of the non canon ships of the modern post-Voyager era. Specifically, the Luna class of which Riker's USS Titan is a member, and the Vesta class of which the USS Aventine is a member.

Neither are canon but both are officially supported - both are ships that have starred in one or more official Trek novels, thus both are ships that we know or can extrapolate a reasonable amount about and get a reasonable entry on.

Including the events from those novels would also allow us to incorporate more character detail - the events of the novels, such as Picard marrying Beverly, Dax becoming a Captain, some of Riker's adventures on the Titan, etc. Naturally the canon colour coding system would let us show all this up as the non canon material that it is.

There is some precedent for this, as we include entries for Franz Joseph's non canon ships from the Starfleet tech manual already.

What say you? Good idea, or not? And any other candidates for ships to include?

I think that it is a really good idea and you should do it. You should try to make as many entries about other ships as well, like the Typhon and the Valkyrie class starfighters. I'd REALLY like to see those! Oh, and other stuff like the new Deep Space Nine seen in the new novels! :D