Celebrations and trek

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Celebrations and trek

Post by Teaos »

Its been awhile since I actually watched any Trek, but apart from Weddings and Birthdays, I cant think of a single human celebration. No Christmas, Halloween, April Fools ect. Sure some of them are religious in nature, but nowadays Christmas is more cultural than religious.

Considering other species still have holidays and celebrations, humans seem to have sold out their cultural heritage.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Re: Celebrations and trek

Post by Griffin »

Well, there's Captain Picard day :P
Bite my shiny metal ass
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

From Charlie X :

Kirk : "On Earth today, it's Thanksgiving. If the crew has to eat synthetic meat loaf, I want it to look like turkey."

From Dagger of the Mind :

Noel : "Dr. Helen Noel, Captain. We've met. Don't you remember - the science lab Christmas party?"

From Data's Day :

Data : "Besides the arrival of T'Pel, events today include four birthdays, two personal transfers, the Hindu Festival of Lights, two chess tournaments, a school play and four promotions. An ordinary day."

(The E-D crew experiences four promotions a day on average? So the entire crew gets promoted an average of once every eight months. Wow.)

Interestingly, on Enterprise they twice gave us episodes set right around christmas (Bound and Harbinger are both set on 27th December, exactly a year apart), and made no mention of it. Yet it's still celebrated in TOS. Guess Archer is a Mr Scrooge McGrumpypants.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Yeah thats what I was trying to get at, that holidays are slowly disapearing. Appart from Data mentioning the Hindu festival (Which seemed to be more like him mentioning "This day in History") we dont see many holidays in latter Trek.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Do we have to? Just those mentions Graham posted show there's something being celebrated. And remember. Almost all the focus is on one ship. That's a pretty narrow field to make assumptions about an interplanetary nation.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Over 7 years on the space hotel that was the E-D? Yeah I'd expect to see some reference to holidays. Maybe Memorial Day for WWIII, or first contact day.

McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Wait isnt there a First contact day? I vaguely remember that in ENT.

Maybe without consumerism attached to the holiday, they become mere 'vaguely somewhat special' days.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

Hasn't there been mention of a "Federation Day" somewhere as well?

I think things like that, First Contact Day, and maybe even Zephram Cochrane Day (though I guess that would be too close to FC Day), would be suitable holidays.

Maybe post-Dominion War a Memorial Day for all those lives lost.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."