Bloodless Blood Oath

Deep Space Nine
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Bloodless Blood Oath

Post by sunnyside »

So I happened to see the episode "Blood Oath" again and was struck that they completely avoided putting any blood on any of the weapons. To some degree they'd tend to hit the incompetent guards with glancing blows to the helmet. But there were plenty of attacks that should have been quite messy.

The thing is that I didn't notice it the first time around. Does that tend to be the way things go in the series and I just haven't been looking, or were they just a bit cheap with the special effects that time around? I suppose in most episodes it wouldn't come up even if there were a lot of fighting due to how clean Trek energy weapons are, it'd only be the occasional quick stabbing and the TR-116 ( I remember they had a little blood in that one, though in an after the fact sort of way).
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Re: Bloodless Blood Oath

Post by Griffin »

I'd imagine that's down to censorship laws and what you can and can't show in the time slot it was to be broadcast in more than anything.
Bite my shiny metal ass
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Look at a lot of fight scenes in Trek. When it comes to bladed weapons it is pretty bloodless. Another good example is the episodes with the Iconian Gate and rebel Jem'Hadar.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Yeah, I'd say it was due more to limitations on what they could show on TV at the time. Now, you can show all sorts of blood and gore. Back then, in their time slot, I guess not.

Welcome back, sunny. :)
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

You also look at how pathetic the fight scenes are too. There are limitations on what you can do on TV whether censorship or budget.

It seems that the only two moves Kira knows is the elbow to stomach twist and slip and the double handed chop.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Well, everyone knows the double-handed chop. It goes back to Kirk's days. ;)
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Funny thing is that a double handed choose or punch is useless in a fight. It literally ties you up so you cannot defend yourself. That and it seems to be a waste of energy and motion for some added power if any to a blow.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Regarding the two handed stike. I wonder if its popularity has to do with it looking powerful and actually being able to push a stunt guy around, but since you're moving slow and spreading the impact over a wide surface area you aren't actually going to hurt anybody. Contrast that to, say, pooping someone in the nose which I think we either look really bad or cause an actual bloody nose every few takes.

Actually that might explain the most popular blow in this episode, which is the forward strike the the helmet that apparently knocks them out (though some guards might have just wanted an excuse to stay down instead of fighting :P ). On that note my impression was that Jadzia didn't actually kill anybody during that episode.
Tsukiyumi wrote:Yeah, I'd say it was due more to limitations on what they could show on TV at the time. Now, you can show all sorts of blood and gore. Back then, in their time slot, I guess not.

Welcome back, sunny. :)
Thanks, and I suppose you're right.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

That is what I figured. It looks powerful but doesn't harm the extras or stunt people as much.

When it comes to blows, the follow through creates the most force. Which is why a hook punch hurts more than a jab.