Let the whoring begin!

Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Let the whoring begin!

Post by Teaos »

I think the difference is between whoring out the image and whoring out the movie. Batman has been whored out the most in terms of movies.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Tyyr wrote:That's whoring lite? Are you kidding me with this? Name a single major movie franchise that has been more whored out than Star Wars.

It's not just merchandising. It's how pervasive it is. Almost every single character that shows up in the movies or shows winds up as an action figure. Doesn't matter if they showed up in one episode and were on screen for two minutes tops, there's going to be an action figure. Lego sets are made for everything to the point where they're pulling from the new MMO for material and sometimes just making it up. They've never met a tie in they wouldn't go for. Angry Birds? Why not. A Star Wars version of Caetaan? Sure! Put Vader's face on a mouse? Why not. There is almost nothing they won't use to try and make a buck off the Star Wars brand. No matter how inconsequential, no matter how vapid, Lucas would bite.

Yeah you are right as always. Whoring out for six movies is greater than creating more movies and more TV shows so they can merchandise off of those too. Yeah I am wrong. Whoring off of six movies is much worse than whoring off twelve movies or nine movies plus all the TV shows.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

McAvoy wrote:
Tyyr wrote:That's whoring lite? Are you kidding me with this? Name a single major movie franchise that has been more whored out than Star Wars.

It's not just merchandising. It's how pervasive it is. Almost every single character that shows up in the movies or shows winds up as an action figure. Doesn't matter if they showed up in one episode and were on screen for two minutes tops, there's going to be an action figure. Lego sets are made for everything to the point where they're pulling from the new MMO for material and sometimes just making it up. They've never met a tie in they wouldn't go for. Angry Birds? Why not. A Star Wars version of Caetaan? Sure! Put Vader's face on a mouse? Why not. There is almost nothing they won't use to try and make a buck off the Star Wars brand. No matter how inconsequential, no matter how vapid, Lucas would bite.

Yeah you are right as always. Whoring out for six movies is greater than creating more movies and more TV shows so they can merchandise off of those too. Yeah I am wrong. Whoring off of six movies is much worse than whoring off twelve movies or nine movies plus all the TV shows.
I'll try to find it, someone did a comparison of several popular universes, based on how much of different things were produced (movies, series, games, books, general merchandise).

Only 1 beat Star Wars. That was Transformers.

I'll try to find it, was very interesting.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I don't doubt that Star Wars is one of the top three in terms of merchandising. Though I would have thought Batman or Superman beating Star Wars.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

McAvoy wrote:I don't doubt that Star Wars is one of the top three in terms of merchandising. Though I would have thought Batman or Superman beating Star Wars.
From what I remember, Batman had equal movies (was before DKR) and more TV series, but was significantly lost by video games, books, and other merchandise. Comics were close to equal, though this was not counting other location crossovers.
Can't remember Superman, since I don't really care much for the character, but I would guess he would be similar.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Hmmm I thought the merchandising of Batman would have been high. After all we are talking about many different types of Batman. TAS Batman. Comic Batman. Nolan Batman. The other Batmans. Kung fu grip Batman.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

New Info

Shooting locations and casting speculation.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I like the toys. i want more SW action figures, dang it! ;)