Strike Phaser

Showcase your own starship and weapon designs or other creative artwork
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Strike Phaser

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Designed in the 2381, the Strike Phaser was intended to provide greatly increased firepower and flexibility to Starfleet operatives facing the Borg. The mandate was to produce a hand weapon that was both as powerful as possible within the ergonomic limits of the average officer, whilst simultaneously offering a far greater ability to modify the beam emissions.

The styling adopted was controversial, deemed in many circles to be 'too aggressive', but the ergonomics studies which had led to the recent Type 3 phaser rifles were clear on the advantages of a 'weaponised' grip/design in combat situations. The front half of the unit is a phased energy emitter, far larger than previous Type 2 designs - and indeed, larger than the older models of the Type 3. Beneath the emitter is a small rail which allows easy fixing of attachments to the weapon - target seeking and aiming assistance devices, micro photon grenade launchers, etc. Behind the emitter is a large capacity power cell, designed for easy of replacement in the field.

But the greatest advantage of the Strike Phaser lies beneath the power cell; a small but powerful isolinear computer system which is capable of modulating the phaser frequency, harmonics, resonance patterns, nutation, polarisation, quantum backscatter, refraction indexing, subspace rebounding, particle density - in all more than sixteen beam parameters, each of which can be adjusted to more than 600 settings. This gives the Strike Phaser more than 4x10^41 different beam setting options, all of which are adjusted randomly by the control system after each discharge. This is claimed to make the Strike Phaser almost impossible to counter - it does not ignore forcefields as such, but rather the constantly varying and completely unpredictable nature of the beam means that it is almost impossible to optimise a forcefield to be immune or even particularly effective against it. Against the Borg, it is expected - hoped - that it will prove impossible to adapt to the Strike Phaser.

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: Strike Phaser

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Oh, that's badass!
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Cool!
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

The image cuts off on my screan just after the first M so for me it is just short of 300 meters :P
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Firing a funky modulated beam :

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Looks more TOS gen than new gen.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Teaos wrote:Looks more TOS gen than new gen.
Kinda supposed to - that's why I talked about the 'weaponised' ergonomics. I hate the "these are just tools so they should be designed so they are hard to aim" design aesthetic of the TNG era phasers.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Always did prefer a handle for the phaser.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I'd like for them to be shot out of peoples eyes...

Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

An upgrade for Geordi's ocular implants could probably do that...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

He should talk with Scott Summers. ;) :D
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

I really like that design but it seems closer to the phasers of the end of the 23rd Century than the 2370's Phaser rifle.

But it is a really great design.
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

DarkMoineau wrote:I really like that design but it seems closer to the phasers of the end of the 23rd Century than the 2370's Phaser rifle.

But it is a really great design.