Steven Spielberg Predicts 'Implosion' of Film Industry

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Steven Spielberg Predicts 'Implosion' of Film Industry

Post by McAvoy »

Tyyr wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:The sad part is... some of the side-characters, I actually really like. If in potential than nothing else.
That's the killer. It's like this was all the most boring side story in some much more interesting vampire movie. The whole idea behind the Vulturi and how they controlled everyone else and used them to keep themselves in power had the makings of a very interesting vampire movie.

The two Russian vampires, aside from being comically stereotypical (which pretty much every one in the movie was) likewise had an interesting medieval/gothic backstory that tied them into the Vulturi. The vampire Avatar with his family and how they were desperate to stay hidden, interesting.

And these are the kinds of plotlines the movie did everything it could to avoid. It ran from them as fast as it could. Hell, even the idea of a vampire child and the backstory of why vampires aren't allowed to have them was interesting and in this movie you had to be told how much Bella and... Ed(?) loved her because the two never did shit with her. The movie ends, and it doesn't even have her with her parents. It has them by themselves, talking about how much they love each other, when the last two movies have been about nothing but this damn kid and they didn't even have her in the final scene she just... disappears.
Tsukiyumi wrote:That's actually a line in it? You can't be serious.
No, it's not a line, just an inescapable conclusion. His whole demeanor and lines leading up to the moment were this over acting tortured emo and I believe the actual line is, "Look at the skin of a MONSTER!" and the motherfucker yanks open his shirt while standing in a sunbeam and fucking sparkles. That is not an exaggeration. Sparkle-pires is dead on what happens. They actually have his entire body glittering like a rhinestoned tiara. This was supposed to be this big dramatic moment and all I could think about was that someone had bedazzled the asshole.

I am not kidding when I say you need to sit down and watch these movies to appreciate just how amazingly bad they are and then reflect upon how popular they are inspite of it. Then, THEN you will understand why the movie industry is, and deserves to be, dying.
I think they are popular because Bella in the books is nondescript and can be any teenager chick. Sparkly vampire I remember was being described as perfect fifty times in a hundred pages. Basically it is a fantasy that allows girls to place themselves as Bella.

Now I have no idea how that concept can override poor acting, poor storylines and overall poor directing.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I know why its popular, I'm speaking more to the fact that because something this awful is popular there's not much hope of things getting better.

I got the distinct impression that by the end no one gave a shit anymore. You probably could have done it decently with some careful rewrites, better actors, and a director who didn't desperately want it all to end, but you can say that about just about anything.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Well I have never watched all of the movies but I have seen glimpses of them and saw the first one. I tried to read the first book before the movies came out but I nearly instantly knew it was a book for girls.

I never understood how or why they made the movies so bad. I mean the acting sucked, storylines sucked and the whole pedophile feel of Edward was never toned down.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

The backstory on Carlisle Cullen would fucking rock. He was turned in the 1600's, but actually managed to fight off the bloodlust. He's a vampire who's never drank human blood and is a doctor, that's how strong his willpower is.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

That sounds cool. Put that would take away from teen angst and 'love.'
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Heck, most side-characters' back-stories would be awesome. Another Cullen took part in vampire gang wars in the southwest US and Mexico!
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

There's a reasonable amount of explanation to Jasper's (the civil war era cullen who fought in coven wars that striker mentioned) in the third film but only as a background to the events of the story at hand.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:The backstory on Carlisle Cullen would fucking rock. He was turned in the 1600's, but actually managed to fight off the bloodlust. He's a vampire who's never drank human blood and is a doctor, that's how strong his willpower is.
That's Twilight in a nutshell. Lots of much more interesting characters and stories all being drug down by the two least interesting characters played by the two dullest actors acting out the most insipid romance plot in recent history.

As for why they're so bad? They probably didn't want to rock the boat. Given how popular the book franchise is and how soon after publication it was being made they likely didn't want to upset the fangirls too much. That and the suits, why chance the movie not going well when you can just use the book for the script.

I did love the Dad in the final movie. I can't recall an actor ever more clearly articulating through their performance that they just don't give a fuck.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Could have cast a better group of actors though and maybe use a great writer to tweak the script so it doesn't suck.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Tyyr wrote:I did love the Dad in the final movie. I can't recall an actor ever more clearly articulating through their performance that they just don't give a fuck.
I haven't seen that to compare it, but from what I've heard I wouldn't be surprised if Pattinson was doing the same thing throughout, given that he's made no secret of his contempt for both author and character.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

A prequel in someone else's hands for either Carlisle or Jasper? I'd pay money to see/read it.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

link cracked agrees.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

*Reads, nods head* It's gonna go boom, then a giant sucking sound will be heard.