Prometheus

McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Prometheus

Post by McAvoy »

I was just thinking about this. None except the weapons systems and perhaps the computer or at least the interface is native or something Earth came up with. I mean fast sunlight propulsion, shields and even hyperdrive they must have ripped off of the Goa'uld within five years of the program.

I wonder if the Goa'uld and by extension is so simply designed that Earth engineers and scientists can figure it out.

How do get to that point so quick? Kinda like designing a nuclear powered aircraft carrier in 1899.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Prometheus

Post by Captain Seafort »

Partially because a lot of it wasn't reverse engineered - the hyperdrive was simply ripped out of an Al'kesh and plugged in, and the shields and ion engines were installed by the Asgard.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Not originallz thez werent, thez onlz did that after it had been around for a while.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

The intial engines were Earth spec, which might be explained by them running them off a naquadah or naquadriah generator, but the hyperdrive was definitely a bodge job, and she didn't get shields until the Asgard fitted them.

And what on Earth is wrong with your keyboard? :? Not even you spell badly enough to consistently replace y with z.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Ah my partner switched my keyboard to German...

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Captain Seafort wrote:The intial engines were Earth spec, which might be explained by them running them off a naquadah or naquadriah generator, but the hyperdrive was definitely a bodge job, and she didn't get shields until the Asgard fitted them.

And what on Earth is wrong with your keyboard? :? Not even you spell badly enough to consistently replace y with z.
They spent 7 billion on the hyperdrive I believe. So I wonder how they got to that point. I might be wrong but I do think the Prometheus had shields before the Asgard started to put stuff on it.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I had thought so, just crappy ones.

But yeah, over the 10 years of the series Earths capablity went through the roof.

McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Way through the roof. It seems that they can build ships twice as big as a carrier in 12 to 18 months with the limited resources they got. I mean I doubt those ships are made purely from steel or titanium.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I remember seeing a fan try to work out how many people must know at a minimum how many people would know of the Stargate or other alien stuff, he had it at 12k minimum assuming you can get people to do limied work with out knowing what it is, more likely classed to 30k.

McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I remember someone tried to do that too.

Problem is they subcontract everything out too.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

McAvoy wrote:It seems that they can build ships twice as big as a carrier in 12 to 18 months with the limited resources they got.
No unions...
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Jim wrote:
McAvoy wrote:It seems that they can build ships twice as big as a carrier in 12 to 18 months with the limited resources they got.
No unions...
No one has built anything at that rate ever. It takes three years to build a Nimitz class but another two to three to make it fully operational.

Maybe the ships are being built in their own dock and it takes three years or so to build. Just a guess.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Not only that but they excavated a huge pit to build it in as well.

McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Teaos wrote:Not only that but they excavated a huge pit to build it in as well.
I assume that the rare materials are brought through the Stargate. I wonder how they get it out? I could assume like how they get the gate in and out of the mountain I guess.
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

They lift it out with a.......crane? :wink:
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington