If you thought the warp core looked familiar in ID....

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: If you thought the warp core looked familiar in ID....

Post by Graham Kennedy »

McAvoy wrote:So its ok to have the rest of the shop be shiny white but not ok to have engineering look remotely close to the rest of the interior?
Yes, I'm fine with that. The passenger areas on a cruise liner look nothing like the engine room, after all.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Hiding the pipes away is fine up until you take combat damage and have to get in there and fix the things.
Even then the idea was, "pop the panel off and fix it."
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

GrahamKennedy wrote:
McAvoy wrote:So its ok to have the rest of the shop be shiny white but not ok to have engineering look remotely close to the rest of the interior?
Yes, I'm fine with that. The passenger areas on a cruise liner look nothing like the engine room, after all.
Perhaps but we are not talking about a cruise ship where exposed pipes, electrical wiring and systems, etc are covered up by pretty paneling. That is of course unless the Abramprise is actually a cruise ship with weapons.

While the ship could very well be a combo science vessel military ship like the original, the science vessel part can still have equipment exposed.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

McAvoy wrote:
GrahamKennedy wrote:
Perhaps but we are not talking about a cruise ship where exposed pipes, electrical wiring and systems, etc are covered up by pretty paneling. That is of course unless the Abramprise is actually a cruise ship with weapons.

While the ship could very well be a combo science vessel military ship like the original, the science vessel part can still have equipment exposed.
It is supposed to be a combo ship, according to Scotty. Not a pure military vessel at all. Not quite a "cruise ship with weapons", but more a "travelling laboratory, diplomatic center and exploration ship with weapons". Which is exactly what every Enterprise has been.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

My point is that Engineering doesn't need to look like plastic tubing with plastic panels but it doesn't have to look like something from our time but with added screens and glowy thingies.

I will admit the new core I loved though.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

It doesn't have to, no. But it looks cool, IMO.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Matter of perspective then. I would have liked to see a combo of the wide open airy feel we got in the new movies in combination with established Engineering.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Trek's traditional lobby like engine room is done that way for a reason, it's cheap. Creating a realistic engine room would be expensive. Much easier to panel the whole thing and claim you can just pop off panels later to get at what you need to. Why wouldn't you do that normally? Why would you bother covering up equipment you need to access in the first place? Leave it exposed so it can be visually inspected quickly and in an emergency be gotten to quickly. I'd have for an important relay for valve to be behind a panel that got jammed shut during an emergency.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Indeed. The new Trek engine room is serviceable and looks LIKE an engine room should.