Ray Harryhausen dies

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Ray Harryhausen dies

Post by Captain Seafort »

Beeb
Visual effects master Ray Harryhausen, whose stop-motion wizardry graced such films as Jason and the Argonauts and Clash of the Titans, has died aged 92.

The American animator made his models by hand and painstakingly shot them frame by frame to create some of the best-known battle sequences in cinema.

His death was confirmed to the BBC by a representative of the family.

"Harryhausen's genius was in being able to bring his models alive," said an official statement from his foundation.

"Whether they were prehistoric dinosaurs or mythological creatures, in Ray's hands they were no longer puppets but became instead characters in their own right."

Born in Los Angeles in June 1920, Raymond Frederick Harryhausen had a passion for dinosaurs as a child that led him to make his own versions of prehistoric creatures.

Films like 1925's The Lost World and the 1933 version of King Kong stoked that passion and prompted him to seek out a meeting with Willis O'Brien, a pioneer in the field of model animation.

Harryhausen went on to make some of the fantasy genre's best-known movies, among them Mighty Joe Young, One Million Years B.C. and a series of films based on the adventures of Sinbad the sailor.

He is perhaps best remembered for animating the seven skeletons who come to life in Jason and the Argonauts, a sequence which took him three months to film, and for the Medusa who turned men to stone in Titans.

Harryhausen inspired a generation of film directors, from Steven Spielberg and James Cameron to Peter Jackson of the Lord of the Rings fame.

Peter Lord of Aardman Animations was quick to pay tribute, describing him as "a one-man industry and a one-man genre" on Twitter.

"I loved every single frame of Ray Harryhausen's work," tweeted Shaun of the Dead director Edgar Wright. "He was the man who made me believe in monsters."

The veteran animator donated his complete collection - about 20,000 objects - to the National Media Museum in Bradford in 2010.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Ray Harryhausen dies

Post by Teaos »

Stop motion is one of those jobs where I imagin you have to be very introverted and slightly OCD to do well... RIP.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Don't know if he believed in an Afterlife but R.I.P. I grew up on this guy's movies. I don't know where movies would be without his dedication and painstakingly long months on those special effects.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Dammit. :( His movies were among the first to really make me go, "Wow!" I think I'll watch Clash of the Titans tonight...
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Is it wrong that I'm thinking of a stop motion funeral.
email, ergo spam
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

IanKennedy wrote:Is it wrong that I'm thinking of a stop motion funeral.
Not if stop-motion King Kong (the best King Kong really) is carrying the casket.
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

That's such a shame. He made true movie magic.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Nutso wrote:
IanKennedy wrote:Is it wrong that I'm thinking of a stop motion funeral.
Not if stop-motion King Kong (the best King Kong really) is carrying the casket.
I think it'd be better if it was the skeletons.
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

King Kong marching in front playing the......clarinet,yeah that's it, the skeletons bearing the casket. A line of mythical monsters and dinos following, wailing, gnashing their not inconsiderable teeth. Medusa ripping her writhing hair out by the roots and the cyclops covered in ashes and Bubo flying around the casket mournfully whoing.
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

That was beautiful, Vic.
Stan - South Park
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

That would be a very fitting tribute.
email, ergo spam
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Indeed. All stop-motion, all wonderfully-animated.