Revisiting the Odyssey

Deep Space Nine
Tholian_Avenger
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Revisiting the Odyssey

Post by Tholian_Avenger »

It seemed like they were trying to disable the Jem'Hadar ships instead of destroy them.
Do you think if the Odyssey had opened fire with photon torpedoes instead of phasers that they could have survived the battle?
6 Star Admiral of the Loyal Water Buffaloes and Honorable Turtles
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Revisiting the Odyssey

Post by McAvoy »

I think if they did it from the start then maybe at least one ship would have been destroyed just from sheer firepower. So I agree. It seems the ships defense wasn't such a threat more than the fact the weapons went through shields.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

We have seen Galaxy's going full out, and they can hit out some massive damage.

Though unlike in Generations, at least here it makes sense that they would be holding back at first.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I agree. Ten torps in one volley and full phaser fire even from the E-D should do quite a bit of damage.

Even the Odyssey prior to the ramming attack, looked to have superficial damage. Mainly a damaged warp nacelle which we all know the E-D had an issue with. That and a warp core made of tissue paper. Though the Odyssey had no issue.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

McAvoy wrote:Mainly a damaged warp nacelle which we all know the E-D had an issue with.
The E-D's "issue" was that minor damage to a nacelle caused the ship to blow up. The Odyssey didn't have that problem. For that matter neither did the E-D in her later career - she took several nacelle hits at Veridian, and while the warp core was obviously still a problem, the specific susceptibility to nacelle damage had evidently been solved.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I meant the damage done to the nacelle caused it go offline. Scorch marks but no hull penetration unlike the E-D that did have pot marked damage. But no flicker of the nacelle.

Perhaps the Jem Hadar fired a lucky shot or the Odyssey was still in the middle of a refit the E-D was further along on. With ultimately even the prototype Galaxy taking direct hits to the area of the warp core without exploding.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

McAvoy wrote:I meant the damage done to the nacelle caused it go offline. Scorch marks but no hull penetration unlike the E-D that did have pot marked damage. But no flicker of the nacelle.
I wouldn't consider that a flaw - even the momentum of a massless beam would give quite a thump, given the power levels involved. Whether or not the thump is hard enough or in the right place to knock out the nacelle would depend on where the hit occurred, the relative power of the weapon involved, or even pure chance.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Captain Seafort wrote:
McAvoy wrote:I meant the damage done to the nacelle caused it go offline. Scorch marks but no hull penetration unlike the E-D that did have pot marked damage. But no flicker of the nacelle.
I wouldn't consider that a flaw - even the momentum of a massless beam would give quite a thump, given the power levels involved. Whether or not the thump is hard enough or in the right place to knock out the nacelle would depend on where the hit occurred, the relative power of the weapon involved, or even pure chance.
I just saw a clip. The beam itself hit the blue crystal part if the nacelle. Unlike the E-D which got hit on the hull itself. So very possible caused some internal damage. But that seems like a great weakness all of Star fleet's enemies should or could exploit.

I don't know, but there should be some redundancy in those nacelles. Like take x amount of damage before it is useless but less than that should allow limited use of the nacelle.

Regardless he Odyssey was in no danger of random exploding warp core #76 event prior to the ramming. The ship exploding after that is entirely forgiveable. I am more impressed that the damage was relatively small.
Tholian_Avenger
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tholian_Avenger »

So, assuming that the Odyssey came out swinging, destroyed the three attack ships, and successfully retreated to DS9.

What happens?
6 Star Admiral of the Loyal Water Buffaloes and Honorable Turtles
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Sisko still gets the Defiant. About the same. Except Starfleet keeps an additional Galaxy class. Maybe we see three Galaxies pounding the hell out of a Galor in Sacrifice of Angels.

I Mean c'mon, Sisko and the Defiant goes together as well as Word and prune juice.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The loss of the Odyssey was, sad as it seems, a good thing for Starfleet. It gave the UFP its first taste of solid combat against the Dominion and it lost badly. So the UFP couldn't afford to just sit around and hope, they had to start preparing. Between the Borg and now Dominion the Federation was on a bad defensive position.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

True. After all the destruction of the Odyssey did more good than if it survived. One ship wouldn't have changed the war.

UFP wasn't prepared to take on the Dominion and it was obvious they sent the Odyssey as a diplomatic gesture at the same time a sign of strength. Something Starfleet was probably used to dealing as was evidenced by the Odyssey's captain. Confident that he could deal with the Dominion.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

As seems common for the 24th century UFP, they vastly over estimated themselves. In the end it did more good for the UFP and more harm to the Dominion. Sisko became obsessed with preparing for the coming War as he saw it. The Dominion came into the fight expecting an easy win.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Deepcrush wrote:As seems common for the 24th century UFP, they vastly over estimated themselves. In the end it did more good for the UFP and more harm to the Dominion. Sisko became obsessed with preparing for the coming War as he saw it. The Dominion came into the fight expecting an easy win.
Yeah up to the end of season 5 in fact.

Starfleet mobilized which takes time even in real life. They started to make powerful ships and brought out prototypes out like the Defiant.

Makes you think what Starfleet would look like if they did not become complacent and too pussified like they were I n TNG.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Deepcrush wrote:As seems common for the 24th century UFP, they vastly over estimated themselves. In the end it did more good for the UFP and more harm to the Dominion. Sisko became obsessed with preparing for the coming War as he saw it. The Dominion came into the fight expecting an easy win.

I dont think its just this, its also that they were unaware of a lot of the threats out there with no reasonable chance to know about them.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.