SFDB: S1E1

McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: SFDB: S1E1

Post by McAvoy »

They really are which is exactly how I got into Stargate. Watch the pilot and see the end and wonder what is the issue with Kakowski (spl). I think it would have been better if that was drawn out over several more episodes before he was eventually killed.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

McAvoy wrote:They really are which is exactly how I got into Stargate. Watch the pilot and see the end and wonder what is the issue with Kakowski (spl). I think it would have been better if that was drawn out over several more episodes before he was eventually killed.
That might have worked for introducing a new enemy to an existing series, but as it stood I think it worked - it was a useful tool to infodump what the Goa'uld were on both the SGC and the audience, and to juxtapose the question of whether Teal'c could truly be trusted with that of whether Kowalski could be.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

It was a while before I got into Stargate proper. I think I caught some of the show whenever there were preview weekends, and heck I've still never seen any of Atlantis or... what was it, universe?
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Atlantis is SG-1 lite and Universe might as well be a different sci fi series altogether.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Universe was fantastioc, one of my favorite sifi series ever. Much much better than Atlantis. Universe was everything Voyager could have been but wasnt.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Universe didn't really get good until half way through season 2. Prior to that it was very slow moving IMO. But most importantly it did not feel like a Stargate series.

The character interactions is what Voyager should have been but not the ship. Well not at least until season 5 or 6.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Universe was moe BSG:U not a Stargate show. The style, writing, look.... it was much closer to BSG than anything in the Stargate universe (pun intended)
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I accept it was much different. By I think it needed to be after 15 series of other Stargate. The way the ship was treated, the fact that holes made on the third episode were still seen after 2 years.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Teaos wrote:I accept it was much different. By I think it needed to be after 15 series of other Stargate. The way the ship was treated, the fact that holes made on the third episode were still seen after 2 years.
I agree that they needed to change it up after Atlantis and SG-1 since they were basically the same thing. Universe just literally carried that too far.

I will admit I did enjoy the SFX. Damage done was carried over and all.

I always wondered how a ship like that could survive a full TV show worth of damage. The ship was already operating at 40% and was inefficient at many things due to damage.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

McAvoy wrote:I always wondered how a ship like that could survive a full TV show worth of damage. The ship was already operating at 40% and was inefficient at many things due to damage.
Pfft. Destiny was a lightweight compared to the Bucket.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Captain Seafort wrote:
McAvoy wrote:I always wondered how a ship like that could survive a full TV show worth of damage. The ship was already operating at 40% and was inefficient at many things due to damage.
Pfft. Destiny was a lightweight compared to the Bucket.
The Bucket was not only a piss poor built ship but a obsolete one compared to the Base stars. But the Bucket still kicked their asses and then some.