2 Star Admiral

SF Debris: Battlefield Earth

Post by Nutso »

How did we miss this?

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

I had a good time watching this train-wreck of a movie. It's so bad it's good to me.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: SF Debris: Battlefield Earth

Post by Tyyr »

Saw this when he posted it. Was looking forward to it actually.

This movie is too bad to be so bad it's good. It's so bad it's transcendent.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

First time I saw it, it was so horrible I was grimacing and groaning. Second time, I am laughing my ass off throughout the movie.
Stan - South Park
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I was entertained up until the whole Harrier thing.

I did know it was bad movie but I grew up on bad movies.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Tyyr wrote:This movie is too bad to be so bad it's good. It's so bad it's transcendent.
Basically, it goes through so bad it's good, crosses infinity, and comes back around to awful.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

And a damned shame, since the actual Psychlo invasion from the book is so... efficient. Make no mistake, the book isn't that good. But even taking into account the usual trouble of adapting from the source, this is bad.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

You start off and everything is Dutch angle. And you're like "Umm, what the fuck?" That feeling this is going to be shit is creeping up on you. Well actually it just flying tackled you. Then you notice everything is tinted hideously. Did they fuck it up, is it meant to represent pollution or something. I read the book before, yeah that was another mistake, so I thought it might be some left over from the Psychlo's. Then its everywhere, piss yellow, icy blue, piss yellow and pea green, every cell is shaded and it's all awful. You're now passing through "This is shit." Then you get to Johnny and his people. You get the english accent on the village elder, Johnny being a fucktard with the medicine, and the fact that everyone acts like apes. You're now passing into "So bad it's hilarious" territory. But the movie won't stop. If that was it and they just left it there then ok... maybe. The problem is that it just keeps coming. It refuses to let anything be good. Pointless slow motion, awful acting, the fucking stilts, psychlos being fucking morons, your main bad guy is an idiot, his aide is even dumber, what they breath explodes if exposed to radiation and they invaded a world full of radiation, gold bars instead of ore, "LEEEEEEEEEEEVERAGE", 1,000 year old Harriers and simulators, cavemen flying Harriers, a romantic love interest they can't even name, and it just doesn't stop.

Even the worst films tend to have something about them that was good. Some idea that had merit, some perfomance that was worthwhile, some dialogue that wasn't bad. At least Promethus had a cool ship. You can't even say that much here because the psycholo shuttles look at stupid as they are.

But there's Battlefield Earth and at the end of it's run time you just stand there in the middle of this barren plane at the end of the universe of fiction and realize that you have arrived at that mythical point, the edge of creativity's infinite plane where you are surrounded by nothing but shit as far as the eye can see. There is literally NOTHING about this movie worthy of praise. NOTHING. There's nothing to learn from this movie aside from never do anything like it ever again. This movie should be excluded from Bad Movie lists on account of it just not being fair. It should be "The Top Ten Worst Movies of All Time, Excluding Battlefield Earth Because It Would Take All Ten Spots."
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

I wonder if Travolta knew this was shit, so he decided to bring out his inner-Shakespeare. That was something beyond overacting. Brian Blessed thought Travolta was overdoing it.
Stan - South Park
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Actually Travolta was promoting it. He thought it would be a huge hit.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

The cinimatography was from a highschool AV club project "Hey what can we do thats new and different? Man lets tilt the camera, its like so original"
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

And let's use filters! Oh, good lord... Oh, and they butchered Ker's character from the book, too.
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

McAvoy wrote:Actually Travolta was promoting it. He thought it would be a huge hit.
That's because it was written by the GURU L. Ron Hubbard.
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

McAvoy wrote:Actually Travolta was promoting it. He thought it would be a huge hit.
Worked for Mel Gibson.
Stan - South Park
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Nutso wrote:
Worked for Mel Gibson.
Well with Gibson we are talking about Christianity, a powerful and popular religion. Not to mention Gibson's movie was actually good.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Had a bigger audience to draw on aswell.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.