Vikings

Everything else
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Vikings

Post by McAvoy »

I am actually very impressed with the History Channel's Vikings. I have no idea if it is accurate but it is entertaining.

It seems to me that the History Channel is making a effort towards high quality mini series now. Better than what it has been which is reality shows like Pawn Stars. Something only vaguely history related.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Vikings

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I've enjoyed the hell out of it so far.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Something about the wife too. Hot and strong.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Its history in entertainment form. Though much of what they show is at least close to accurate.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I've read a lot fo books by Conn Iggelton which are fantastic historical fiction.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Why does the lead character smoke all the time? Is it because he is holding his rage to go murder everyone?

In the very first episode its not called murder if you tell someone before you pass two houses or something.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

An old law which is still in use in parts of the US is that if you kill someone in self-defense you have to report it. It is illegal to not report the act. However since most homes nearby are likely to be family or friend of the dead, you are allowed to go three homes down to report the act.

In the US though its you have to call the cops and remain at the site of the act or go directly to the police.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Deepcrush wrote:An old law which is still in use in parts of the US is that if you kill someone in self-defense you have to report it. It is illegal to not report the act. However since most homes nearby are likely to be family or friend of the dead, you are allowed to go three homes down to report the act.

In the US though its you have to call the cops and remain at the site of the act or go directly to the police.
Well it seems that in Viking law in this series you can basically kill someone over an argument and then if you report it, then all is fine.

Looks like this is going to be a TV series for the History Channel which is good. I almost written off the channel when it was airing reality shows non stop. But if they air historical TV shows like this then I will be happy.

I would like to see a Crusades TV show. That would be cool.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

McAvoy wrote:Well it seems that in Viking law in this series you can basically kill someone over an argument and then if you report it, then all is fine.
No, you still have to be judged. But failure to report it grants an automatic death sentence.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Deepcrush wrote:
McAvoy wrote:Well it seems that in Viking law in this series you can basically kill someone over an argument and then if you report it, then all is fine.
No, you still have to be judged. But failure to report it grants an automatic death sentence.
Ahh. I see. I guess I missed that part.