SFDebris: Ménage à Troi

The Next Generation
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

SFDebris: Ménage à Troi

Post by Captain Seafort »

Blip

Crap episode salvaged by Wesley Crusher.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: SFDebris: Ménage à Troi

Post by Teaos »

As fun as it is to see him do shit episodes, I actually prefer when he gets a average episode and really deconstructs it. Makes for a more interesting review. Threshold is almost so crap its good, but the review of it is avergae because everyone expects it to be ripping the shit out of it.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Hmm, not a bad review. And yeah, the Wesley bits were the best. ;)

EDIT: Check that. The best part? Picard fighting to get Lwaxana back. :happydevil:
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

When Wesley is the saving grace of your episode you have seriously fucked up.

Though that being said this was one of the less obnoxious Wesley plots. He's still a wunderkid but in a less intolerable way than usual.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I never minded he being a wunderkid, its the way they treated his tallents that annoyed me. He could have been a very good character if just written better.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Well looking at TNG's supposed entry requirements to the academy they ALL should have been wunderkids. However almost any character concept can be good if written well. Personally I think Wesley could have used more humanizing as a teenager. Not going all 90210 on it, but have there be some issues with a teenage boy being thrust into an adult world.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Tyyr wrote:have there be some issues with a teenage boy being thrust into an adult world.
The problem with that approach is that there's a risk it might imply that the Federation and all its inhabitants aren't universally perfect. Gene would never have allowed it.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Yeah, Mr. "A 10 year old child won't cry for his dead parents because we're evolved past that." Gene was like George Lucas. A great general idea guy, but someone better off not given direct control over the production.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Ah, gimme TOS-era humans any day of the week. They will kill. They simply choose NOT to kill today.
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

This is why I prefer TOS humanity myself. All of the objections about people being unrealisticly moral that comes up with TNG simply does not apply to TOS. Miners being more worried about the price that their ore will bring, Officials being more interested in their "mission" than helping those in need. Hell, Harry Mudd, need I say more on this subject? And yet, most of humanity wants to do the best that they can, this being showcased by the Star Fleet personnel that we see on the screen.
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Yeah. They're a lore more... human, for lack of a better word.