Disney Chief: More Star Wars 'Character' Movies on the Way

Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Disney Chief: More Star Wars 'Character' Movies on the Way

Post by Nutso »

http://mashable.com/2013/02/05/disney-s ... er-movies/
Would you want to see a Star Wars movie all about Yoda? How about Boba Fett, Admiral Ackbar or Lando Calrissian?

That's the sort of thing we can expect now that Disney has bought Lucasfilm, according to Disney CEO Bob Iger. Speaking on CNBC Tuesday afternoon, Iger confirmed rumors that the company was working on "standalone" Star Wars films about various big names from the Lucas universe.

"I can confirm we're working on a few standalone films," Iger said, adding that Lawrence Kasdan (who wrote Empire Strikes Back) and Simon Kinberg (writer of several X-Men films) were already working on them. "They are not part of the overall saga."

So these films would not be part of the regular chronological stream of franchise movies in the series — Episodes VII, VIII and IX are already confirmed and in the planning stages, with J.J. Abrams confirmed to direct the first.

Rather, each of the films Iger is alluding to would focus on a separate Star Wars character, and have more of a biographical bent. The plan is to release them in the same period of time as Episodes VII through IX — in other words, between 2015 and 2021.

Marvel, also owned by Disney, is the presumed model here: we're talking about the Star Wars equivalent of the Captain America, Thor and Hulk films, whereas the regular Star Wars Episode movies would be the ensemble equivalent of the Avengers.

Harry Knowles of Ain't It Cool News, a mainstay of Hollywood gossip, had reported Monday that a standalone Yoda movie was in the works — though Knowles was unsure about what period of Yoda's live the movie would cover.

"At this stage specifics are sparse, but [Lucasfilm chief] Kathleen Kennedy is putting together a Star Wars slate," Knowles said.

Given that Yoda lived for 900 years, there's plenty of potential story to choose from when covering our little green friend. Indeed, there's potential for a whole new trilogy.
A movie about Yoda's first love?
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Jim
Captain
Captain

Re: Disney Chief: More Star Wars 'Character' Movies on the W

Post by Jim »

Lando Lando Lando...
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Jim wrote:Lando Lando Lando...
Played by Will Smith?
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Good, get away from the trilogies and the grand sweeping drama. I'd rather not see them retread the old cast but do character movies with a new cast but I'll take some baby steps in getting away from the previous style.
Played by Will Smith?
Yes.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Qui'Gon... same actor, and a far from the PT story. It would be awesome.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Seconded, so long as they give Neeson something other than that trite "Be mindful of your feelings" crap dialogue.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

How many? I don't think it'd be a good idea to saturate the market with too many films.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

We are talking Disney here. Also the market didn't saturate with superhero films at one a year just from Marvel. I doubt you'll get saturation if you bring out a Star Wars film every year or two.

That said, as much as I like Liam Neelson if I never see Qui-Gon again I'll be a happy man.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

A Mace Windu movie could be awesome. Or Obi-wan between RotS and ANH.

Maybe a Darth Maul movie. :wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Tsukiyumi wrote:Or Obi-wan between RotS and ANH.
Twenty years of sitting in a hut, on a dustbowl, moping. Not my idea of a great film. It's a pity they're so unlikely to make a Dooku film, given that Lee isn't up to that sort of long-distance travel any more.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Tyyr wrote:We are talking Disney here. Also the market didn't saturate with superhero films at one a year just from Marvel. I doubt you'll get saturation if you bring out a Star Wars film every year or two.

That said, as much as I like Liam Neelson if I never see Qui-Gon again I'll be a happy man.
Oddly enough, Qui-Gon was the best part of TPM for me. ;)
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Captain Seafort wrote:Twenty years of sitting in a hut, on a dustbowl, moping. Not my idea of a great film. It's a pity they're so unlikely to make a Dooku film, given that Lee isn't up to that sort of long-distance travel any more.
:lol:

I thought about that; there's nothing in canon saying he was there the entire time. He could've had a few off-world adventures in the interim.

I considered Dooku also; would be great if they could show him as a Jedi, before he left the order.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Maybe some old republic stories.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Oddly enough, Qui-Gon was the best part of TPM for me. ;)
What did he even do in the movie, what was his role?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Tyyr wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Oddly enough, Qui-Gon was the best part of TPM for me. ;)
What did he even do in the movie, what was his role?
I agree with your questions - he was made to be little more than a jumping-off point for Obi-Wan. That's one of two major issues with Qui-Gon Jinn, the other being that his dialogue was made to be little more than trite and hackneyed phrases taken verbatim from "The Lazy Writer's Jedi Handbook." Be that as it may, there was still an unmistakable sense of real, interesting character and story under that shoddy veneer - which would certainly be helped along if Neeson were gotten to reprise the role under a writing and direction team that allowed that character to be expressed.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer