What's the latest in people's lives?

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
Uzume
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: What's the latest in people's lives?

Post by Uzume »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:
Uzume wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Well, the pipes are clear. No damage, thank god.

glad to hear it; last week we woke up to 3" of water in my house. it was no fun day that's for sure. :takecover:
Thanks, and that sucks. I hope it got drained and fixed.

Yeah, I swept the water out of the doors' in 5 hrs ; then i went to my girl friends house Drank some "fuzzy navel" while i did laundry and played Uno.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter. - Anonymous
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Ah. that works. ;)
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Just to let everyone know; we're restarting the Call of Cthulhu RPG. Anyone who might want to join in, let me know asap. I can get you the materials and get you up to speed. If you don't know anything about the concept, no problem; I'll walk you through it while we play. Alternatively, if you are familiar with RPG tabletop games, you'll already be ready, and should enjoy it.

There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

The primary bathroom at home here, on the second floor, has an exhaust fan. This fan has developed a slight flaw recently. It's been there for over 20 years after all, so it might be understandable. On the other hand, now that it's far more effective at letting out a horrible screeching noise than airing out the bathroom I don't care what it's excuse is. Another unfortunate design element is that this fan is wired to the same switch as the primary light -- there aren't independent switches for each. Personally I've taken to using the night-light unless I absolutely need the extra light. It's hard to avoid using this one since it's the one that has an actual bathtub/shower (and the cats litter box occupies the downstairs room...)

My father took a look at it on his off day earlier this morning -- and well, it's still not fixed. :lol:
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

The downside is that with a unit that old you might have issues getting a replacement fan. A lot of things like that have standardized on a few size so you may have to do some drywall cutting to get a new one to fit. It's not the end of the world but it is a pain in the ass, re: my house. Where all the air registers were sized in the 50's.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I hate Betazed. I hate betazoids. Fucking setting breaking pain in the ass.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Tyyr wrote:The downside is that with a unit that old you might have issues getting a replacement fan. A lot of things like that have standardized on a few size so you may have to do some drywall cutting to get a new one to fit. It's not the end of the world but it is a pain in the ass, re: my house. Where all the air registers were sized in the 50's.
My garage was redone to be an erstwhile rec room about two years before I bought the house. Different size everything from the original living space.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I haven't learned my lesson yet that chugging pickle juice leads ti me laying down on the couch in pain.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Well we noted that replacing the fan wouldn't be easy but a quick trip to the store and a spritz with WD-40 seems to have helped (for now)
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Normally the fans in those situatios are not hard wired. THey acually have a very short cord and are plugged in inside the lightbox. You could potentially just unplus it and still have use of the light.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Well, 'Nemo' is coming in. I say bring it... out to sea. ;)
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Well, 'Nemo' is coming in. I say bring it... out to sea. ;)
Yeah, you better check your store of canned goods.

In other news, my TV went. Much as I love my CRT picture, it doesn't look like replacing it is feasible. So, LCD or plasma? It seems to be common knowledge that plasma has a better picture quality and can have a much better motion compensation - the one I'm looking at has a 600 Hz rate - as well as far less backlight bleed/local distortion. Has plasma finally overcome the burn-in problems and longevity issues that had been a problem at the start?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Well, so far been able to keep up. Power's still on, and we do have canned goods/bottled water.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Not too bad in my small corner of the NYC region (maybe half a foot), though there were obviously much harder hit areas. I heard the official measurement at Central Park was 11 inches and where my boss lives got over a foot. It wasn't enough to forestall my work day, though I was a bit bored at home and it's half a day anyway. Locales west and north of the city proper got considerably more.

I get to work and look at my laptop (a secondary PC I keep at work) and I notice a clicking sound coming from its hard drive that wasn't there before. That can be an ominous sign of impending drive failure (sometimes called the click of death) though it was running fine despite the clicks and passed a round of diagnostic tests I ran on it. (shrug) I guess for the moment I'll continue to use it but keep a close eye on that drive. It wouldn't be hard to replace if it comes to it anyway.
Angharrad
Captain
Captain
Location: In the big chair, finally, swinging my feet 'cause I'm short. Lower the chair Scotty DAMMIT

Post by Angharrad »

I got 10" where I live. Upper Manhattan. I was fine, had 4 bottles of whiskey and 6 bottles of beer. Oh and some food.
“You cannot play God then wash your hands of the things that you've created. Sooner or later, the day comes when you can't hide from the things that you've done anymore.”

And then Buffy staked Edward. The End.

From Slave to Princess