Server move

Important stuff, please read before posting
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Server move

Post by IanKennedy »

Given the issues we've had recently with server outages and the slow response times we've been looking at moving to a new hosting provider. After looking around I've found a much faster service and have been doing some testing. The upshot is that we're about to move the DITL to a new system. The likely move date is currently the 1st January. Yes, that's a new server for the new year.

In order to move the system I will have to freeze the forum on the old machine, copy the database to the new machine and then activate it there. The DNS then needs updating in order to allow you to find the new server. Given the nature of the internet it could take a little time for the DNS changes to propagate around the world. I've attempted to minimise this time but we'll see how well that works. The upshot is it could take from 1 hour to 1 day for you to locate the system correctly. You will know when the change is complete as I will add a message to the home page and the forum that will only be available on the new server.
email, ergo spam
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: Server move

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Okay, sounds good. Good luck with the move. :)
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

We're about to start the move.
email, ergo spam
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Well the move is now complete. Welcome to the new server.
email, ergo spam