Gerry Anderson dies

Everything else

Gerry Anderson dies

Postby Captain Seafort » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:24 pm

Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Gerry Anderson dies

Postby Graham Kennedy » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:09 pm

That's a real shame. He made some great stuff, and although he was always disappointed with his own career he gave a lot of fans a lot of pleasure over the years.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby RK_Striker_JK_5 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:44 pm

That is a shame. I've never seen much of his work, but what I've seen, I liked. Every time I started up my lawn mower I would always say, "Thunderbirds! Are! GO!"
RK_Striker_JK_5
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Postby Captain Seafort » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:51 pm

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I've never seen much of his work, but what I've seen, I liked.

I grew up with it. Not on the first run, obviously, but the reruns of the big three in the early 90s spawned a new generation of Andersonverse fans, and I was right in the middle of it. That's where my fascination with analysing the technical side of sci-fi started.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Postby shran » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:42 pm

Captain Seafort wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I've never seen much of his work, but what I've seen, I liked.

I grew up with it. Not on the first run, obviously, but the reruns of the big three in the early 90s spawned a new generation of Andersonverse fans, and I was right in the middle of it. That's where my fascination with analysing the technical side of sci-fi started.

I daresay a similar thing happened to me. Thunderbirds departing is a rather impressive sight at age 2, something that never quite stopped to fascinate me. Especially as I later startes paying attention to what happened and started to actively observe the series; A fully reusable 20+ meters tall single stage bright red rocket, capable of landing in the same position it was launched. That is quite a feat, something we can't yet replicate on full scale. Not that I'd consider the Thunderbirds a model to follow, but certainly a glimpse of a hypothetical future to which we could aspire.
In any case, Gerry's visions will certainly be missed.
Suffice to say, I liked it as well.
shran
Commander
Commander

Postby Tinadrin Chelnor » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:52 pm

I once made my own papier-mâché Tracy Island to go with my Thunderbird vehicles. I grew up with his work, and I'm still wanting to find Space Precinct on DVD.
All I ask is a tall ship, and a star to steer her by.
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Captain Seafort » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:23 am

Tinadrin Chelnor wrote:I once made my own papier-mâché Tracy Island to go with my Thunderbird vehicles.

The BP one?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Postby Tinadrin Chelnor » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:06 pm

Yeah that's the one, I did quite a few bits from BP and Art Attack, but Tracy Island was my best. And I had all the Thunderbird vehicles to go with it.
All I ask is a tall ship, and a star to steer her by.
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Varthikes » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:52 pm

I had just discovered him a few months ago with Fireball XL5.
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
Varthikes
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Return to Other / General