Would the Federation expand?

Deep Space Nine
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Would the Federation expand?

Post by McAvoy »

800 million dead plus millions dead on other worlds. The homeworld is devastated. Other planets outside the the sphere when the Dominion probably devastated. Shipyards destroyed or damaged.

Perhaps a fragment of its self without a government.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Same as Germnay after WWII and they came back strong.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

The UFP is always in expantion. Bayor joins after the end of the war. I believe the cardassians or the CU as a whole may join also, althought the animosity between bajorans and cardassians may be an obstacle.

Do we know somethink about what happened with the worlds in DMZ? After the dominion war the previous treaty between UFP and CU probably is no longer valid so those worlds should have return to UFP. Plus KE and RSE would like to claim some space/territory from the defeated.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

They'd probably have to absorb the DMZ into itself to keep the peace there.
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

I believe the cardassians would join the UFP sooner than later, especially if there are other powers trying to get what is left of the CU resources by force.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Ooh, that's a good point. Better the Federation than the Klingons or Romulans.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Possibly. I think that would make a huge impact poltically with the rest of Alpha and Beta Quadrant. The UFP would gain a considerable amount of planets, resources and even ships, something that maybe even the Klingons may not like.

Perhaps that is what tips the scale in the Federation's favor. I always had this feeling that the Dominion War put the Federation past all the other powers for good. From then on, everyone else is playing catch up, and if the UFP takes in the Cardassian Union, well that would just further the gap.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

And the other sides get desperate to even the feild and start playing with weapons like omega to even the feild.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Perhaps. I mean imagine the political implications if for example Mexico joined the US as bunch of more states. Not many would welcome that the US just gained a considerable amount of territory and resources, as well as manpower. Yes Mexico has issues, and it would take a long time for the US to correct them (if at all).

Cardassians would kinda be like that.
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

That is a good analogy. I don´t know if mexicans would like it though.

Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Didn't the Cardassians turn fascist because of resource shortages? With access to Federation aide and resources it's possible that the main reason for going full Nazi could be eliminated and the more spiritual side of the Cardassians could reassert itself.

Then again if Star Trek Online is to be believed the Cardassians aren't just going to join they're going to take over. Half my DOffs are Cardassians.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Cardassians are a martial culture, so its not a surprise that so many would want to find some for of Civil Service in life.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Considering now that they truly are resource poor because they are relying on the UFP to control its allies and trying rebuild a heavily devastated world, the Cardassians could be in situation similar to 1920's to early 1930's Germany if UFP doesn't pay close enough attention.

I do wonder if pride will prevent the Cardassians from joining too soon after the DW.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Also lets remember that a lot of people in the federation really really hate the Cardassians... maybe they wont be welcome.

Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Pride brought them into the DW, pride caused them to pick a fight with the people helping them and in the end they turned about. I think they've paid their dues enough and also they are really lacking any other options.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu