Gerry Anderson dies

Everything else
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Gerry Anderson dies

Post by Captain Seafort »

Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Gerry Anderson dies

Post by Graham Kennedy »

That's a real shame. He made some great stuff, and although he was always disappointed with his own career he gave a lot of fans a lot of pleasure over the years.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

That is a shame. I've never seen much of his work, but what I've seen, I liked. Every time I started up my lawn mower I would always say, "Thunderbirds! Are! GO!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I've never seen much of his work, but what I've seen, I liked.
I grew up with it. Not on the first run, obviously, but the reruns of the big three in the early 90s spawned a new generation of Andersonverse fans, and I was right in the middle of it. That's where my fascination with analysing the technical side of sci-fi started.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
shran
Commander
Commander

Post by shran »

Captain Seafort wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I've never seen much of his work, but what I've seen, I liked.
I grew up with it. Not on the first run, obviously, but the reruns of the big three in the early 90s spawned a new generation of Andersonverse fans, and I was right in the middle of it. That's where my fascination with analysing the technical side of sci-fi started.
I daresay a similar thing happened to me. Thunderbirds departing is a rather impressive sight at age 2, something that never quite stopped to fascinate me. Especially as I later startes paying attention to what happened and started to actively observe the series; A fully reusable 20+ meters tall single stage bright red rocket, capable of landing in the same position it was launched. That is quite a feat, something we can't yet replicate on full scale. Not that I'd consider the Thunderbirds a model to follow, but certainly a glimpse of a hypothetical future to which we could aspire.
In any case, Gerry's visions will certainly be missed.
Suffice to say, I liked it as well.
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

I once made my own papier-mâché Tracy Island to go with my Thunderbird vehicles. I grew up with his work, and I'm still wanting to find Space Precinct on DVD.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Tinadrin Chelnor wrote:I once made my own papier-mâché Tracy Island to go with my Thunderbird vehicles.
The BP one?
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

Yeah that's the one, I did quite a few bits from BP and Art Attack, but Tracy Island was my best. And I had all the Thunderbird vehicles to go with it.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Varthikes »

I had just discovered him a few months ago with Fireball XL5.
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk