Voyager
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

SFDebris: Year of Hell

Post by Captain Seafort »

Part 1

I think Chuck likes this one. :)
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: SFDebris: Year of Hell

Post by Teaos »

Still stands as one of my top three Voyager episodes. And it shows what they could have done with the show. With the effects in this two parter spread over a whole series they could have made the whole show so much better.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

And of all the people to come up with it, it's Brannon Braga. :lol:

What are the other two?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Living Witness is #1 for me. Not an epic episode but a nice watch with no downside.

And Blink of an Eye probably comes in at number 2.

Not the typical top choices maybe but enjoyable tv.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Part 2 up

Chuck starts to get pissed off with Janeway being stupid beyond parody Janeway.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Teaos wrote:Living Witness is #1 for me. Not an epic episode but a nice watch with no downside.

And Blink of an Eye probably comes in at number 2.

Not the typical top choices maybe but enjoyable tv.
They are among my favorites too. Scorpion is perhaps my #1.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

A small mistake. Voyager doesn't run on the tears of ensigns per say, just the tears of Harry Kim. Otherwise, awesome. :mrgreen:
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Part 3

Thoughts

While I can see where Chuck's coming from regarding Family, I still disagree with him - the fact that the episode is atypical of Star Trek doesn't mean that it's so outside the box that it can't be rated relative to the other episodes of TNG. Indeed, its atypicality would be either increase or decrease its final score depending on how successful the concept was.

Also, while I can see why he chose All Good Things... as his example of a well-done reset button, I'm a bit surprised that he didn't look at an example far closer to the version we got, either as well as or instead of AGF. Yesterday's Enterprise.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Okay, finished the review. And i agree with Seafort about Family. For me, at least an 8, maybe even a 9. He also brings up some very good ideas about avoiding or subverting the reset button. I love the one about Harry, there. And crazy Janeway, always a pleasure. :D :happydevil:
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I love his singing.

Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I dunno, when I first saw this episode on TV I was honestly getting very excited. Some fucking consequences. When the episode ended and they mashed the reset button... it left a sour taste in my mouth. I still don't really care for Year of Hell that much.