Star Trek Into Darkness Synopsis and Poster Revealed

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Synopsis and Poster Revealed

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I don't mind it being mainstream. I rather like it, actually.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

The Japanese version of that trailer has an extra bit on the end. You can see it here http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/ ... -darkness/

All I will say is if this film is a rehash of Khan I will not be seeing it at all.
email, ergo spam
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I dont see how that could be done well.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

In the movie universe, does Kirk have a brother?
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Not unless he was older and not on the Kelvin.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

I've heard that that kid he passes in the car in the beginning is supposed to be his brother, but I don't know if it's canon or not.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

2 points.
1) Blondie is similar in looks to whats her name from the first TOS ep.

2) in the Japanese trailer, that last bit made me want to scream. I really hope they don't follow the route it looks like.

Also... Enterprise hitting water...
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

The trailer looks.....meh!

Now I don't think that means the movie has to be bad, since we pretty much see only explosions and action scenes and as good as nothing from the story, but I don't know......seems forgettable to me.

I guess the success of the movie depends entirly on how much the rehashed and if they even bothered to come up with something new storywise. If it is indeed a variation of Khan...I am not really interested.

You rebooted the universe to free yourself of the shackles of 40+ years of canon. Then come up with something new, but that is just my humble opinion.
Oh..and the Enterprise playing U-Boat? Now there's a shitstorm in the making on all the boards that still haven't swalloed that the ship could have been built on a planets surface. :lol:

But what bothered me more was lava-planet. Not only is it so incredibly stupid, ever since the last star wars movie I hate lava-planets. Nothing good ever comes from them.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Lava could have just been near a very big and slow volcano. Unless I missed something that pointed to a whole planet of lave in which case, I agree.
Edit: just noticed spoilers are not functioning properly... sorry non-spoily folks.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Atekimogus wrote:The trailer looks.....meh!

Now I don't think that means the movie has to be bad, since we pretty much see only explosions and action scenes and as good as nothing from the story, but I don't know......seems forgettable to me.

I guess the success of the movie depends entirly on how much the rehashed and if they even bothered to come up with something new storywise. If it is indeed a variation of Khan...I am not really interested.

You rebooted the universe to free yourself of the shackles of 40+ years of canon. Then come up with something new, but that is just my humble opinion.
Oh..and the Enterprise playing U-Boat? Now there's a shitstorm in the making on all the boards that still haven't swalloed that the ship could have been built on a planets surface. :lol:

But what bothered me more was lava-planet. Not only is it so incredibly stupid, ever since the last star wars movie I hate lava-planets. Nothing good ever comes from them.
I'm actually not too bothered by the underwater space ship, is there really that much difference between airtight/space-proof and airtight/water-proof?

Besides didn't the Delta Flyer survive the Space Ocean with minor modifications?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

My issue is more that it looks like the E crashes into a lake or something... which would probably cause massive stress on that neck.

Looks cool though.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

stitch626 wrote:My issue is more that it looks like the E crashes into a lake or something... which would probably cause massive stress on that neck.
I doubt it's more than the few thousand g of acceleration (assuming she can match the E-nil) it has to withstand as the impulse engines (in the saucer) have to tow the rest of the ship.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I would have thought that a ship that can take the kinds of stresses associated with accelerating to fractional light speeds in seconds would laugh at pulling a few gees. Maybe those strengths are accomplished through structural integrity fields and whatnot in space... but I see no reason why those couldn't work on the ground, too.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I don't know. Every time we have seen a ship collision, the SIF has not been able to handle it.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Turning a corner would also create so pretty heavy G's.