This will piss Seafort off...

In the real world
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: This will piss Seafort off...

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:They're still enough to wipe the floor with anything the Argies could send against them.
If the Argies don't focus their attack points and strike in small waves, it could be possible for the British forces to hold.
Captain Seafort wrote:It's far from a joke. Even the US couldn't win a decisive war against the UK - it would be able to flatten all conventional forces, but any attempt to destroy the UK as a sovereign nation would cost it a few major cities.
You're right, far from a joke. Its just out right denial. The US, or Russia or China or India or even Israel could stomp the current defenses of England without much trouble. England's primary advantage is location being that its hard to reach since it no longer has colonies to provide its fodder.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Teaos wrote:Not in a missle no. But through non conventional warfare, yes.
Or by plane, or by terror strike or by boat even.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Plane or boat not really, the US and UK can knock them down before they came close enough. When I said non conventional war I was thinking more of putting a bomb in a shipping container and sailing it in a cargo boat into a US or UK port and making it go boom.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Deepcrush wrote:The US, or Russia or China or India or even Israel could stomp the current defenses of England without much trouble.
India and China don't have the sealift to get here, and I doubt the Russians could do so in sufficient force. Even if they did though, just as with the US, they still couldn't win. Being able to stomp the army, RAF and RN flat won't stop the Trident boats removing a few of the attacker's cities.
Deepcrush wrote:
Teaos wrote:Not in a missle no. But through non conventional warfare, yes.
Or by plane, or by terror strike or by boat even.
Which can all be stopped. You can't stop a swarm of RVs coming in double-digit Mach. Some of them maybe, but all it takes is one to go off and it's goodbye Washington/Moscow/Bejing/Delhi.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Basically no one in the nuclear family can be invaded. Even for those countries with nukes but no way to send them around the world, the fear of them using them locally is still to much for anyone to messs with them.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

So basically all that's left to England is its ability to point at a nuke and shake a fist. Explains why I've always felt so sorry for England and how little it has become. To go from an important and powerful nation to being little better the NK or Iran has to be painful.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:So basically all that's left to England is its ability to point at a nuke and shake a fist.
You have to admit that the first of those is rather important.
To go from an important and powerful nation to being little better the NK or Iran has to be painful.
We're quite a lot better than NK or Iran. Yes, we're a second-rate power, as you've said before, but if you leave the US out of the equation our expeditionary capability is as good as any in the world.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:You have to admit that the first of those is rather important.
I wouldn't have responded to it if it wasn't important.
Captain Seafort wrote:We're quite a lot better than NK or Iran. Yes, we're a second-rate power, as you've said before, but if you leave the US out of the equation our expeditionary capability is as good as any in the world.
I did say that England was a little better.

All things concerned, I think a war would be good for England. The harder the better, give the british population something to rally behind and fight for. Break up the growing cowardice and revive some of the fighting spirit for the nation. Let the English people stand up and show that its not just talk but a real strength that's just been sleeping to the side.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:All things concerned, I think a war would be good for England. The harder the better, give the british population something to rally behind and fight for. Break up the growing cowardice and revive some of the fighting spirit for the nation. Let the English people stand up and show that its not just talk but a real strength that's just been sleeping to the side.
We're in the middle of one now. A hard one, unless you consider a decade-long commitment and several hundred dead squaddies something other than hard.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:We're in the middle of one now. A hard one, unless you consider a decade-long commitment and several hundred dead squaddies something other than hard.
Hard fighting by a few isn't the same as a commitment to a hard war.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Deepcrush wrote:
Captain Seafort wrote:We're in the middle of one now. A hard one, unless you consider a decade-long commitment and several hundred dead squaddies something other than hard.
Hard fighting by a few isn't the same as a commitment to a hard war.
Britain has never lacked the guts to fight hard fights. Alas, it's your country that has the history of turning up late for the important things in world history.
email, ergo spam
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Well someone has to save you from yourselves.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Deepcrush wrote:Well someone has to save you from yourselves.
What, by not turning up for over a year. How very, well lets just leave it at that...
email, ergo spam
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

When I look at Britain and feel sad, it's not because of the decline of the military, that's just a giant money pit and means to interfere in others business. Nukes guarantee the nations safety.

It's all the rights the population has given up, the camera's, the decimation of hunting and shooting sports, the massive regulation. The Western Commonwealth countries have all become a shadow of what we once were. The consolation is that we've gone left, while America has gone hard right.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

IanKennedy wrote:
Deepcrush wrote:Well someone has to save you from yourselves.
What, by not turning up for over a year. How very, well lets just leave it at that...
I guess this is related to WWII. A war you allowed to start, a war we funded you through, a war that didn't even involve us and yet we still sent aid to you at the cost of our sailors prior to formal entry. Yes its so rude of us to bother helping you and later saving you from your mistakes. Its also so very rude that we bothered to build up before committing to the war after a near total economic collapse. I guess we should have just stayed out of it and left you alone from the start huh.
Aaron wrote:When I look at Britain and feel sad, it's not because of the decline of the military, that's just a giant money pit and means to interfere in others business. Nukes guarantee the nations safety.

It's all the rights the population has given up, the camera's, the decimation of hunting and shooting sports, the massive regulation. The Western Commonwealth countries have all become a shadow of what we once were. The consolation is that we've gone left, while America has gone hard right.
To be fair, its not that America has gone hard right, its that we were extreme right and are still working our way center.