Star Trek Into Darkness Synopsis and Poster Revealed

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Star Trek Into Darkness Synopsis and Poster Revealed

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Last week Paramount released a synopsis of the upcoming Star Trek film. The story can be found here and the synopsis is below.
In Summer 2013, pioneering director J.J. Abrams will deliver an explosive action thriller that takes Star Trek Into Darkness.

When the crew of the Enterprise is called back home, they find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization has detonated the fleet and everything it stands for, leaving our world in a state of crisis.

With a personal score to settle, Captain Kirk leads a manhunt to a war-zone world to capture a one man weapon of mass destruction.

As our heroes are propelled into an epic chess game of life and death, love will be challenged, friendships will be torn apart, and sacrifices must be made for the only family Kirk has left: his crew
Early this morning Paramount also released an official Promotional Poster for the film.

"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Synopsis and Poster Revealed

Post by Teaos »

God damn, looks like they are making a super hero movie almost... Not what I want from trek.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Teaos wrote:God damn, looks like they are making a super hero movie almost... Not what I want from trek.
Why not? That's effectively what Space Seed and WNMHGB were. I wonder whether the baddy's going to be Khan, Gary, or someone new who's a bit of both.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Hmm.....I admit I am intrigued but on a general note I don't get it why everything has to be so "dark" nowadays. I do hope there is also some humor and that they find a good balance. Star Trek was also pretty dark imho (blowing up romulus and vulcan) and I was hoping for a more upbeat movie.

Now the poster is not "BAD" but am I the only one that thinks that it looks like the bastard child of "the dark knight rises" poster and The Matrix? :roll:
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Sonic Glitch wrote:...detonated the fleet ...[/img]
What the hell does that even mean? I'm guessing typo.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
Probably meant to do another improper use of the word decimated.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
stitch626 wrote:
Tsukiyumi wrote:
Probably meant to do another improper use of the word decimated.
I'm hoping.
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Auto correct on iPhone?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

I just hope that it isn't another planet based movie like Voyage Home and even Insurection. I watch Star Trek fro trecking through the stars... not for walking around southern California.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

I concur. It is called "Star Trek" after all, not "Global Trek".
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Don't get me wrong, I am not against any and all ground fall... I just do not what that to be the "adventure" part of the movie.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Actually aside from The SlowMotion Pictire, the movies have been a mixture of planet side and space stuff.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

Its good to have parts of the movies set on planets, nice to see the different worlds etc. I love to see different planets and environments. But preferably more of the action should be in space, IMO.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

It seems like the studio is now explicitly taking the Trek franchise in a direction designed to make it more popular to mass audiences. They've had great success with a core audience of Trek fans but they ran out of steam with VOY and then ENT and it seems like they decided it's hard to please fickle geeks and continue to milk a cash cow that way. With the success of the first Abrams movie they realized they could in some sense de-geekify Trek and sell it a bit more as a space action oriented series than the cerebral show it began life as.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Update: Pre-teaser trailer Released.

Since this is being called an "announcement trailier" I'm kind of reminded of Jon Stewarts Pre-Announcement Announcement for the Rally to Restore Sanity two years ago.