4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

SFDebris: The Matrix

Post by Captain Seafort »

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

Pretty good, as all Chuck's independent film reviews tend to be, although I think it would have been worthwhile picking up on the Oracle's foreshadowing offhand comment "in a another life perhaps".
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: SFDebris: The Matrix

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I'll watch it later, but I know I'll have a good time with it. Loved that first movie. :D
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I didnt like this review. It was very insightful and very well done.... but I listen to his reviews for story line dissection and jokes... this was just a little to... preachy.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I think Chuck missed a bit on the AI motivations. He went directly for impressed idea that the AI used humanity for power. Its the reason presented to humanity, but as Chuck points out its not logical. AI, for all else will react to its best logic. It comes to the most basic design, to help humanity survive. AI was built to serve humanity and thus at its most simple it has to insure that humanity survives. Make what you will of it, but my first thought of the AI was that they were doing what they were in order to save humanity. In its own way, AI saw only one way to save humanity from its fall. It had to prevent a second global fall out and by placing humans in the Matrix, it achieves this goal. Further more to me its almost heroic. The Machines building their entire civilization around a single thing, protecting humanity. An eternal mission, one without rest or room for failure.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I always thought the same thing about the machines' motivation for creating the Matrix; why else would they have started with a "paradise"?

They prevented the humans from ever being a threat to their existence again without wiping us out.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Another point is in the end where Neo faces the Architect, Neo states "You need us". The Architect responds with "there are levels of existence we are willing to accept." At first we get the human impression that its because of power. That the AI need us for power, but that's not the case, we know simply because of the math. So its something else that is the fear of the AI. What would they be willing to accept? I believe that when Neo put on the risk of losing humanity within the Matrix, the AI were willing to accept losing humanity. Or at least that is what they were trying to make Neo believe. Everything they did was built and geared towards the survival of humanity. The AI could have won the war with Zion at any time they wanted. They made the choice to allow zion, to let it build and continue a cycle to protect the stability of the Matrix.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu