Voth reclaiming Earth

Voyager
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Voth reclaiming Earth

Post by Captain Seafort »

stitch626 wrote:I think the only ones who could do anything about the Voth are the Q.
Depends on which Q you're talking about. TNG Q, which aren't far (if at all) short of gods, would all but ignore them. Voyager Q, which are effectively normal vulnerable-to-muskets humanoids with some fancy toys, would probably be an even fight.
Nutso wrote:I was going to add the Organians to stitch's comment, but if the Voth shut down Voyager through cutting off its energy source (I'm assuming), can they outright kill the Organians? Just shut them off?
I doubt they could do anything to the Organians - their effect on Voyager was to hack into the main computer and shut everything down from there rather than damping power output.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
shran
Commander
Commander

Post by shran »

McAvoy wrote:Good point.

I do wonder how big their fleet is. Is it the one ship or is it numbering in the hundreds or thousands? Do they have dedicated warships?
They at least have sufficient numbers to dispatch other vessels for a long time, as demonstrated by the Science ship initially spotted in that episode, clearly capable of travelling independent of outside support for quite some time, as demonstrated by the extensive log about the Distant Origin Theory. There are also penal colonies mentioned, so there must be significant numbers of Voth which broke the rules to be sent off in such numbers that they can form colonies. Combine that with a 20 million year presence in the Delta Quadrant and I'd think it's safe to bet on the hypothesis there are multiple city ships in existence.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Outside of support is not an issue, their ships travel so fast that nowhere for them is more than a short trip away.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

For the Voth, we'd have to resurrect Kirk to stand a ghost of a chance. ;) okay, all seriousness, if they wanted Earth there's not much we could really do about it.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

shran wrote:
McAvoy wrote:Good point.

I do wonder how big their fleet is. Is it the one ship or is it numbering in the hundreds or thousands? Do they have dedicated warships?
They at least have sufficient numbers to dispatch other vessels for a long time, as demonstrated by the Science ship initially spotted in that episode, clearly capable of travelling independent of outside support for quite some time, as demonstrated by the extensive log about the Distant Origin Theory. There are also penal colonies mentioned, so there must be significant numbers of Voth which broke the rules to be sent off in such numbers that they can form colonies. Combine that with a 20 million year presence in the Delta Quadrant and I'd think it's safe to bet on the hypothesis there are multiple city ships in existence.
I have no doubt that they have more than one city ship I just wonder how may have.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I have no idea why, but it just seems if they've got multiple city ships, they're still few in number. *Shrugs* Again, I don't know why.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I have no idea why, but it just seems if they've got multiple city ships, they're still few in number. *Shrugs* Again, I don't know why.
They have ginormous ships, but there was to my recollection no direct mention that they settled on a new home world after leaving earth. I wonder if these huge ships are their home; that would explain their great size.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

It would make sense. Kind of like a miniature GSV from the Culture novels.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

I never understood that as a plot line. Unless it was some sort of pathetic religious thing. You haven't been there for millions of years... so who cares.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Entitlement.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Teaos wrote:Entitlement.
Original homeworld where they came from and even more so if they do not have a homeworld.

Though imagine if the Voth joined the Federation instead.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

I'd see it more along the lines of having Earth like we have old style villages and historical sites. We don't live in those places, but it would be nice to visit and see where we came from. In this case, they'd just have to evict the current occupants and do a bit of 'restoration' to the planet.

But yes, those ships allied with the Federation would be wonderful. A 10 km long ship, from here that can transpoort other ships inside, has faster speeds, and internal manufacturing and repair facilities? It'd be better than a starbase, let alone the Voth higher tech base for defense (go to DS9 and 'defend yourself' against the Dominion fleet).
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

It's been so long since I watched the episode but didn't they use their ships as homeworld? I honestly cannot remember seeing a planet or that they generelly occupy much territory. I mean one encounter...never heard of again. Definitly one of the smaller empires - if they even have one - Voyager came across.

As for the Voth invading the UFP. I wouldn't be overly worried. They seem to be few in numbers and let's not forget one simple thing. They are pretty slow and dumb.

Now sure they have impressive technology but didn't even the Voyager manage to trick them somehow? I seem to remember something with a tractor beam........ . And that is with more than a 65 MILLION years technology gap. They should long be Q or Organians by now. Imho they never seemed much of threat to me. Villain of the week yes, but relativly easy to manage.

So maybe it's just that sooner or later every civilization hits a technology ceiling were there isn't anything new to discover or do given the laws of the universe. If so, and Voth technology represents the maximum there is (which is questionable imho since V'ger was even more impressive than their ships) than it shouldn't the UFP take long to catch up with them, they are already almost there.

(Imho the idea of the episode was a good one, but what they did with it.......now I don't remember much about it but I do remember that they seemed overly hostile for no good reason at all.)
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I dont think they have an empire as such, they exist and go where they like. But I think your right in the fact that they do not have a home world.

McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Atekimogus wrote:It's been so long since I watched the episode but didn't they use their ships as homeworld? I honestly cannot remember seeing a planet or that they generelly occupy much territory. I mean one encounter...never heard of again. Definitly one of the smaller empires - if they even have one - Voyager came across.

As for the Voth invading the UFP. I wouldn't be overly worried. They seem to be few in numbers and let's not forget one simple thing. They are pretty slow and dumb.

Now sure they have impressive technology but didn't even the Voyager manage to trick them somehow? I seem to remember something with a tractor beam........ . And that is with more than a 65 MILLION years technology gap. They should long be Q or Organians by now. Imho they never seemed much of threat to me. Villain of the week yes, but relativly easy to manage.

So maybe it's just that sooner or later every civilization hits a technology ceiling were there isn't anything new to discover or do given the laws of the universe. If so, and Voth technology represents the maximum there is (which is questionable imho since V'ger was even more impressive than their ships) than it shouldn't the UFP take long to catch up with them, they are already almost there.

(Imho the idea of the episode was a good one, but what they did with it.......now I don't remember much about it but I do remember that they seemed overly hostile for no good reason at all.)
The whole premise of the episode was a Voth scientist trying convince his superiors that they came from Earth and even Chakotay mentioned I believe that the Voth took a long rime to develop trans warp because of some form of strict dogma.

I think Voth are as advanced as they are because of time even with a slow progress of advancements.

Also Earth really isn't their Earth anyway. The planet changed a lot not including the presence of humans.