Are the Empire's actions legal?

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Are the Empire's actions legal?

Post by Captain Seafort »

Atekimogus wrote:Well, this would then completely depend on how good their sensor actually are. Still, making a dash for the planet in hopes of catching them offguard and then - if it didn't work - making sure noone escapes the blockade seems just as viable as trying to sneak up on them in sublight with the Executor and still risking getting caught and with their pants down stuck in an asteroid field. Definetly not what I would call "choke-worthy" incompetence.
On its own perhaps not. "You have failed me for the last time", on the other hand, suggests that Ozzel had a track record of bogging things up, and Vader had had enough.
Well mainly they are shown "....not lasting long against those star destroyers". Honestly, I have no idea how long capital ship engagements are in the Star Wars universe, however given the time-frame of the film I can well imagine that if they had to do battle 20-30 minutes more they would have started to take heavy losses.
That's why I'd give the ISD the edge. I'm by no means suggesting that Mon Cals are superior to ISDs, merely that they're close enough to give them a hard fight.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Captain Seafort wrote: Piett probably was. Ackbar was talking about the big guns. That A-wing would have gone splat against the bridge shields if the rebel heavies hadn't already disabled them.
The sequence is then a bit misleading imho and a order to try and reinforce forward shields would make more sense than reinforcing forward battery-fire. On that note, - I admit I don't remember it being mentionend or not - was it every satisfactorily explained why the Executor crashed? Did Troi manage to crossover universes and secure a place on the auxilliary bridge? Assuming loss of engines, has the deathstar enough gravity to pull a ship in within a few moments? Hardly think so....

Captain Seafort wrote:19km, according to the latest update. A bit bigger than Saxton's estimates actually, but close enough to the visual evidence to be reasonable, unlike the five and eight mile nonsense.
To be honest I never really was a fan of the SSD and therefore didn't mind that they where omited from the Thrawn triology. They always seemed like something only a mad megalomaniac would build with their capabilities being in no relation to their size. What do you need a Maus for when you already got a King Tiger, so to speak but that just as a personal aside.
Captain Seafort wrote: On its own perhaps not. "You have failed me for the last time", on the other hand, suggests that Ozzel had a track record of bogging things up, and Vader had had enough.
Good point. Now it's probably just academic being his right hand man but did Vader hold an official rank within the navy? I mean just to pay tribute to a formality? If not and he works within the same system Thrawn later had to deal with this might actually a point for why he didn't have any bigger ships with him besides his custom made SSD-ride. Simply that the Emperors and Vaders hold on the navy wasn't so strong as they would have liked which resulted in this stupid SSD and DS projects, as a mean to rectify it.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Atekimogus wrote:The sequence is then a bit misleading imho and a order to try and reinforce forward shields would make more sense than reinforcing forward battery-fire.
The sequence was thus:

Ackbar orders all fire concentrated on Ex
Two A-wings strafe a bridge dome, destroying it.
Ex bridge officer reports "we've lost our bridge deflector shield"
Piett orders "intensify the forward batteries - I don't want anything to get through."

His order was as a reaction to the loss of bridge shields, obviously attempting to set up such an intense crossfire that anything making a run on the bridge would be destroyed. Either the order wasn't implemented fast enough or it wasn't enough.
On that note, - I admit I don't remember it being mentionend or not - was it every satisfactorily explained why the Executor crashed? Did Troi manage to crossover universes and secure a place on the auxilliary bridge? Assuming loss of engines, has the deathstar enough gravity to pull a ship in within a few moments? Hardly think so....
Loss of engines wasn't the problem - quite the reverse. The Death Star's gravity wasn't close to strong enough to produce the sharp angling downward we saw, so what probably happened was that damage to the control systems cause the main engines to misfire, just as happened to the Tyrant at Hoth, driving the ship into the DS before auxiliary control could take over.
To be honest I never really was a fan of the SSD and therefore didn't mind that they where omited from the Thrawn triology. They always seemed like something only a mad megalomaniac would build with their capabilities being in no relation to their size. What do you need a Maus for when you already got a King Tiger, so to speak but that just as a personal aside.
I like them - she's simply a big battleship, where bigger is always better.
Now it's probably just academic being his right hand man but did Vader hold an official rank within the navy?
Yep - Supreme Commander of the Imperial Fleet, just as Thrawn and Pallaeon held later.
If not and he works within the same system Thrawn later had to deal with this might actually a point for why he didn't have any bigger ships with him besides his custom made SSD-ride. Simply that the Emperors and Vaders hold on the navy wasn't so strong as they would have liked which resulted in this stupid SSD and DS projects, as a mean to rectify it.
No, the warlordism and fragmentation of the fleet that Thrawn had to deal with came about as a direct result of the deaths of Vader and the Emperor at Endor. as for the practical use of the Ex and DS, the Ex was simply a big battleship, just like the Iowas, and the DS was required to establish total Imperial control over the galaxy by mounting a weapon capable of punching through planetary shields.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.