Disney's Wreck-It Ralph

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Disney's Wreck-It Ralph

Post by Varthikes »

Today, I saw the new Disney movie, Wreck-It Ralph, about a computer game bad guy who wants to quit being the bad guy. Kind of like Monsters Inc. with a dash of Tron and Shrek mixed in.

I really loved it. A great story about the effect one's actions and attitudes can have on others, and how they can back-fire onto oneself. It also generates some nostalgic feelings for the old computer games that I grew up with (ex: Q-bert). I love the simple movements of the characters from the Felix Fix-It, Jr. game. Definitely a movie to put on my To-Buy List.
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Disney's Wreck-It Ralph

Post by Deepcrush »

Classic Disney story line... and I loved it as well. Its something that could easily be turned into a series, but instead they ended it on a high note and left the crowd wanting more. Just how it should be.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Everything I've seen and heard makes me wanna go and see it. :D I'll be going with my friends next week.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

I saw it and loved it, but it made me realize that Disney may be taking the place of Pixar, I mean, Brave from Pixar was very meh, but Wreck-it-Ralph was a mess of deep meaningful feelings that brought a lot of emotion to mind. It was really great that there were a few plot twists that really genuinely confused me and that I didn't see coming. One of which was the actual villain of the movie who didn't seem to appear at all until about the last 30 minutes of the movie. It was a great time, and I will probably see it again in theaters simply to enjoy it, and definitely buy it.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Arent they one in the same now? I thought Pixar was bropught out by Disney?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Teaos wrote:...bropught...
Wow, that's a new one. :D
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Varthikes »

Pixar's John Lasseter did work on the film as executive producer.
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Well that make's a lot of sense. It just seemed to me so much more the style of Pixar than it was Disney, far deeper and interesting than I would expect from Disney.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Disney owns Pixar but it's much like they own Marvel or Lucasfilm. They're not being absorbed into the company so much as just working for them. Disney more or less lets them do as they please (well we'll see with Lucasfilm). Brave was meh but it was honestly meh. They tried doing something a bit different and it didn't light people on fire like other movies did. It's certainly not the first time Pixar has done something different. Up and Wall-E both could have easily bombed but didn't. Brave is just proof that everytime Pixar tries to break the mold it's not going to work just like Cars 2 is proof they aren't above occasionally not doing it for the art just because as a business they are trying to make money.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Just got back from seeing it with my friends. Ho-ly crap this was awesome! :mrgreen: 8) Ralph is a great guy. I loved that Felix was a good man, too. Calhoun...
Most tragic backstory ever. Ho, wow. I'd give her a hug, but then she'd probably shoot me. ;)
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Just got back from seeing it with my friends. Ho-ly crap this was awesome! :mrgreen: 8) Ralph is a great guy. I loved that Felix was a good man, too. Calhoun...
Hey, she knows what to do with a spontaneous romantic moment at least. :D

I watched it Friday, and am finding out afterward that there was something after the credits (went to see it with friends, and we didn't wait around). But yes, after Ralph talks to King Candy, and after Vanellope comes out with the medal for him to wear, that did hurt.

I'm also having fun reading the TVTropes pages about it too. I.e. that room where they held the Bad Guy meeting was in the Pac-Man maze, because heroes can never get in there.

Also, at the very beginning of the movie, look at the side of the Sugar Rush racing game to see a familiar face.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Yeah, the amount of trivia and shout-outs in the movie is staggering.