The Coalition Universe

Graham's Coalition Universe stuff
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Coalition Universe

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Been on something of a uniform kick lately, redrawing all the uniforms for the various armed forces of the Coalition. I've been having fun with dress and ceremonial uniforms... so many sci fi uniforms are all futuristic and stuff, which is fine, but for ceremonial and dress uniforms I felt like going very retro. The army dress uniform includes a tricorn hat and a functioning flintlock pistol. :happydevil:
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

A flintlock? Swords, I can understand, but a flintlock? :?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Well, if you're going to regard an obsolete weapon like a sword as a symbol of honor and whatnot, why couldn't the people of a thousand years from now think the same about other obsolete weapons?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Because a sword isn't going to blow up in your face. And you can't open telegrams from your employers' daughter with a flintlock.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Also, a sword doesn't require any special conditions to operate. A flintlock (probably more properly, for your purposes, a miquelet or snaphaunce) requires a certain oxygen content of the atmosphere, a certain maximum moisture content, etc., etc. A sword just needs... a hand with a decent arm attached.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

They don't use them. They're decorative ceremonial items.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Cool, hope they can do homie duals :)
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Teaos wrote:Cool, hope they can do homie duals :)
I was actually tempted to have a dueling tradition in the Coalition using old style flintlocks, either accurate reproductions or perhaps reliable versions built with modern materials. But in the end it didn't really make sense to have a tradition like that exist in a modern style of society - there are good practical reasons why dueling was outlawed, after all.