10 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About DS9

Deep Space Nine
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

10 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About DS9

Post by Nutso »

http://io9.com/5937525/10-things-you-pr ... =superlist
1) Dr. Bashir actor Alexander Siddig was the first choice to play Benjamin Sisko

Producer Rick Berman saw Siddig playing King Feisal in the British television production A Dangerous Man: Lawrence After Arabia, and decided to cast him as Commander Sisko. Berman changed his mind when he realized Siddig was only in his mid-twenties, and instead offered him the part of Dr. Bashir — who was originally named Dr. Julian Amoros. This was a part with way less job security: for the first two years Siddig was on the show, the network was constantly telling Berman and the other producers to fire him, because he was the most unpopular character. But the producers held their ground, because they wanted to change Bashir over time and slowly make him more likable. Also: Siddig and Miles O'Brien actor Colm Meaney fought in real life, while their characters were fighting on the show — they had hours of "furious fights" about England and Ireland, according to Siddig.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: 10 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About DS9

Post by Teaos »

Wow that very interesting. The show would have flopped if he had been Sisko, such a totally different dynamic.

Also he was an ass in the first 2 series. I wonder if him and Colm became closer as their characters did.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Also, during the first season, a huge earthquake struck L.A. while Shimerman and Odo actor Rene Auberjonois were in makeup — both actors decided to skip the two hours of makeup removal and go home to check on their families, terrifying many passersby on their way home.
I had heard that story ages ago, the be fair, Odo does look like a building fell on his face.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Nutso wrote:http://io9.com/5937525/10-things-you-pr ... =superlist
1) Dr. Bashir actor Alexander Siddig was the first choice to play Benjamin Sisko

Producer Rick Berman saw Siddig playing King Feisal in the British television production A Dangerous Man: Lawrence After Arabia, and decided to cast him as Commander Sisko. Berman changed his mind when he realized Siddig was only in his mid-twenties, and instead offered him the part of Dr. Bashir — who was originally named Dr. Julian Amoros. This was a part with way less job security: for the first two years Siddig was on the show, the network was constantly telling Berman and the other producers to fire him, because he was the most unpopular character. But the producers held their ground, because they wanted to change Bashir over time and slowly make him more likable. Also: Siddig and Miles O'Brien actor Colm Meaney fought in real life, while their characters were fighting on the show — they had hours of "furious fights" about England and Ireland, according to Siddig.
Haha I like that last part.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

6) The show could have had a musical episode

Ronald D. Moore says he kept pitching a musical episode, over and over. His idea was that: "There's just some tech virus that infects the crew and they can only communicate in song, you know? And just do it! And have a ball." Moore pushed for this idea over and over, and "they fought against it and fought against it and fought against it."
I don't care what anyone else says, that would've kicked ass. :D
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

They did that on scrubs and it was awesome. Takes a lot of suspended disbelief. Would be better if they didnt use the space virus.

Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

I liked it in Buffy ''Once more with feeling''
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Granitehewer wrote:I liked it in Buffy ''Once more with feeling''
I was just thinking of that. IDK if Berman could have pulled it off the same way that Whedon did.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Mikey wrote:
Granitehewer wrote:I liked it in Buffy ''Once more with feeling''
I was just thinking of that. IDK if Berman could have pulled it off the same way that Whedon did.
Yeah, that was one of the best Buffy episodes. Here might've been a harder sell, but if done well would've kicked all kinds of ass.