The Way of the Romulan.

Deep Space Nine
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: The Way of the Romulan.

Post by Deepcrush »

The Romulans seem to have focused on the attack power of their ships while their defenses are largely a pathetic.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I think used the "Fierce face" concept too.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Well they seemed to apply the all in one or nothing at all concept. They were great for surprise attacks but sustained battles just tore them apart.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

They held up great in the Omarian nebula against what, 150 bugs? They didn't escape, but they didn't just go poof either.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

To be fair they were trying to give their founders aboard ship time to escape. Though I'm not saying that their ships are made of Eldar paper, they certainly aren't to the scale of their more common opponents.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I've always thought of their armor as being a bit behind the Klingons and most Federation designs, but in that battle the Cardies best ships got pasted, and the Warbirds were withstanding a serious beating. The ship Lovok and Odo were on wasn't the only one left standing at the end of that fight.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Well again their size works against them, The DD's are so large it would take a lot to armor them. They might work under the principle of "kill them before they can get a shot off"
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Tsukiyumi wrote:I've always thought of their armor as being a bit behind the Klingons and most Federation designs, but in that battle the Cardies best ships got pasted, and the Warbirds were withstanding a serious beating. The ship Lovok and Odo were on wasn't the only one left standing at the end of that fight.
Those CU ships are just destroyers, even if uprated a bit. The D'Ds are battleships. A good bit of difference between them.
Teaos wrote:Well again their size works against them, The DD's are so large it would take a lot to armor them. They might work under the principle of "kill them before they can get a shot off"
Fits their cloak and attack local bases and then run like hell attitude they've kept up for the last two hundred years.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Deepcrush wrote:Those CU ships are just destroyers, even if uprated a bit. The D'Ds are battleships. A good bit of difference between them.
I'd class the Keldons as Light Cruisers at least, but that is a valid point. Still, the D'Deridex seemed to hold up about as well as a GCS, if not better, considering the 7-1 odds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN2ZrTpvIss

Judge for yourselves, but I don't think the D'D is weak at all.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

CU ships seem to have better armor than the standard RE ones.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Tsukiyumi wrote:I'd class the Keldons as Light Cruisers at least, but that is a valid point. Still, the D'Deridex seemed to hold up about as well as a GCS, if not better, considering the 7-1 odds.
Depends on the GCS. DS9 uprated models I'd doubt, but clearly superior to the TNG models. Its not that the D'Ds are weak, just that they are weaker then they should be.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Agreed.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Makes sense. If we go by the E-D as the TNG model then the the GCS sucked. But if we go by the DS9 model than they performed admirably. Even the prototype herself seemed to have no issues. Perhaps they ironed out all the issues and the DS9 models are what the GCS were supposed to be.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Well the E-D was only the second of her kind, there is bound to be problems with any new design, and 90% of them seemed related to the core, so once that is solved the ship would be a lot more solid.

McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Teaos wrote:Well the E-D was only the second of her kind, there is bound to be problems with any new design, and 90% of them seemed related to the core, so once that is solved the ship would be a lot more solid.
True. Like I said before they did replace the core six years in. I can't even think of a time when a carrier or battleship had their engines replaced that early.