Borg recovery

Voyager
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Borg recovery

Post by Granitehewer »

Hello again!

I was having a rather heated debate with a friend about the Borg collective post-Voyager, the debate/screaming row was centred about the level of damage to the Borg collective and the recovery time needed for the Borg to recover whatever strength was lost.

Any ideas?
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Borg recovery

Post by Teaos »

It all depends on how you define Borg power.

Up until Endgame we never knew of Borg Transwarp Hubs and were under the assumption that Borg Cubs could Travel at transwarp when ever they wanted.

If that ability has been destroyed or at the least crippled... well it lets the galaxy breath a sigh of relief. IF Borg are stuck to fairly normal travel ability then they would only slowly spread out from their "territory". They have never really seen to be malicious, they dont hunt peolpe down and chase them, they merely see something they like and take it.

Add to that the Borg Queen dying and possibly all or most Borg getting messed up by the virus, at the least we can assume than uni matrix is now floating free outside of the collective and possibly many more.

In addition you have the Borg resistance from Unimatrix 00 which could now lead a proper revolt to stop them reforming.

I think the threat of the Borg has been crippled for a few years, but even if every power in the Galaxy combined there fleets to try and wipe them out I dont think they could, They are simply to wide spread, to entrenched, to powerful to be totally wiped out. At most this will provide a few years, maybe a decade of rest.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

I think that there is the possibility (what with the virus and Borg rebels) of the Collective not regaining full strength for decades if not longer.
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Due to the beginnings of a civil war, 8472's kicking the shit out of them, the loss of one of their hubs, the loss of the Queen and the spread of the virus. I don't really see the Borg rebuilding until all of the cut off systems are able to relink and put down the rebellion and virus. A decade+ at normal warp supposing everything goes well for the collective.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

I totally forgot about the Species 8472 incursion.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Well, it was only a minor skirmish... lol
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

Just a mere flesh wound! Lol
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

Was she the only queen? remember she was supposed to die in BOBW and we saw her die again in FC.
About the virus, well, is not the first time someone try that. The borg are supposed to be good at adapting so it is possible that the virus is stopped quite fast and the damage wouldn´t be that extensive.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Even stopping the virus, the damage has already been done at that point. UM0 is up and going, the Transwarp hub is destroyed and the network damaged. The virus did everything it needed to at that point.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

SomosFuga wrote:Was she the only queen? remember she was supposed to die in BOBW and we saw her die again in FC.
Which indicates that the Queen is probably a computer programme rather than an individual. She simply uses a physical shell when she wants to interact with her environment.
About the virus, well, is not the first time someone try that. The borg are supposed to be good at adapting so it is possible that the virus is stopped quite fast and the damage wouldn´t be that extensive.
The downside to that is that the Borg are clearly heavily centralised - despite their apparent nature, the Queen is the linchpin that holds the entire collective together. By uploading the virus directly into the Queen, Janeway appears to have bypassed all their firewalls and antivirus software, and crippled the entire collective.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

I agree with Seafort.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Captain Seafort wrote:
SomosFuga wrote:Was she the only queen? remember she was supposed to die in BOBW and we saw her die again in FC.
Which indicates that the Queen is probably a computer programme rather than an individual. She simply uses a physical shell when she wants to interact with her environment.
The downside to that is that the Borg are clearly heavily centralised - despite their apparent nature, the Queen is the linchpin that holds the entire collective together. By uploading the virus directly into the Queen, Janeway appears to have bypassed all their firewalls and antivirus software, and crippled the entire collective.
It's a good idea to think the Queen is like some sort of central program to hold the Borg together. But that would mean without her the Borg wouldn't be Borg. But we would have to ignore that we saw two different Queens. We could ignore that or make some sort of explanation for it.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

I think that she menotioned a couple times that humans think in such three dimentions... in reference to them talking about her. THerefore, I assume that it is either a time travel thing (which I do not subscribe to as she should be able to know more about what is going to happen) or she is basically just an interface... an input/output device used for communication with non-Borg. A direct link to the central system that can bypass all of the drone units.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

All good points, except the one about time travel, it doesn't fit.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

McAvoy wrote:It's a good idea to think the Queen is like some sort of central program to hold the Borg together. But that would mean without her the Borg wouldn't be Borg. But we would have to ignore that we saw two different Queens. We could ignore that or make some sort of explanation for it.
"You imply a paradox where none exists." There wouldn't need to be two of anything, save the I/O device (the queen's physical body, which is negligible to determine the queen's actual identity.) You and I can both log on to the DITL forum separated by space and time, and on different computers, but that doesn't mean that there's more than one DITL forum.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer